Where are all the Walkley Ex Pats?

Dawdie

Boy that's completely gone from my memory bank. Didn't a 95 bus run all the way on Bole Hill Road and turn round at Tinker Lane ?

There was a 9 min. service from Tinker lane to Intake and from South Road to Elm Tree making it 4/5 mins from South Road to Elm Tree then they all ran to Intake but alternate buses ran South Road and Tinker Lane I was on the buses early 60s and lived at Walkley till 86 when we had a good bus service.

There was a 9 min. service from Tinker lane to Intake and from South Road to Elm Tree making it 4/5 mins from South Road to Elm Tree then they all ran to Intake but alternate buses ran South Road and Tinker Lane I was on the buses early 60s and lived at Walkley till 86 when we had a good bus service.

I remember often catching the 95 into town and the 52 to school. We used to moan if we got to the bus stop (not having checked any timetable) and a bus didn't arrive for 10 minutes. These days (away from Sheffield) we are lucky if there is one in an hour and that meanders around every back street it can find before really setting off to our destination. Trains here are the more convenient transport but, in Sheffield, I had hardly ever used the train. I was there after the original trams and before the new lot so don't know how reliable and useful they are.

Didn't I hear that, at one time, Sheffield had the second biggest bus fleet in the country after London?

The first 3 years of my life was spent in Walkley on Strand Street, which I believe was knocked down to make way for a new development (please correct me if I'm wrong). I have vague memories of it being just off a main road which was a hill down to one of the major roads.

Can't remember very much, obviously but we were relocated to a house in Parson Cross where I stayed for the next 20 years and where my parents still live.

97 was Southey Green and 98 was Southey Green via Longley Lane both running to Nether Edge

Thats right, 98 was via Longley Lane, that was a nice walk to our house, we lived on Piper Close, I think we had to cut down past the side of a church if we got the 98.

The first 3 years of my life was spent in Walkley on Strand Street, which I believe was knocked down to make way for a new development (please correct me if I'm wrong). I have vague memories of it being just off a main road which was a hill down to one of the major roads.

Can't remember very much, obviously but we were relocated to a house in Parson Cross where I stayed for the next 20 years and where my parents still live.

I have maps dating back to the 1920's, but can find no reference to Strand St. Any better idea where it was.?

Does anyone remember Mr Prideaux who was headmaster at St Mary's when it was on South Rd? I recall him as a strict but kindly man. Also Mrs Neville, Mrs Smith,Miss Johnson and Mr Stokes and Mr Taylor? I remember lots of names of pupils who left in early 50s. Does anybody else?

I have maps dating back to the 1920's, but can find no reference to Strand St. Any better idea where it was.?

Sorry for the delay in replying, I had to check with my parents. Strand St. was off King James St. near the junction with Grammar St. We lived at No. 4 and shared a communal back yard.

Archived