Where are all the Walkley Ex Pats?

Dawdie

Sorry for the delay in replying, I had to check with my parents. Strand St. was off King James St. near the junction with Grammar St. We lived at No. 4 and shared a communal back yard.

The 39 kellys, shows Strand St. between 66 and 104 King James St. but doesn't show it on the index of streets.

There is also Majuba St. at 178 King James St. which again isn't in the index listing.

I'd never heard of either. Majuba sounds like somewhere in the colonies or somewhere we fought in the Boar war.

Does anyone remember Mr Prideaux who was headmaster at St Mary's when it was on South Rd? I recall him as a strict but kindly man. Also Mrs Neville, Mrs Smith,Miss Johnson and Mr Stokes and Mr Taylor? I remember lots of names of pupils who left in early 50s. Does anybody else?

I only recall Mrs Smith, but I was there after you. I had Mr Jarman as head. I think he was there when I arrived in around 1962 and was still there at least a few years after I left in 1968 - so maybe into the 1970s.

I thought it went up Highton St

No Tooeg-am sure it used to go up Greenhow Street then on Camm Street-we used to catch the 8.05am bus in a morning to Manor Top-remember it well!

Or maybe I am having a mumsy moment!

Creswick St did run from top of Whitehouse Lane down to Langsett but got split somewhere thro the years.

I remember working at Creswick St Nursery-now a family centre (at the side of St Barts) and walking all the way back up Crookes-killers them there hills!!

lol

mumsy

No Tooeg-am sure it used to go up Greenhow Street then on Camm Street-we used to catch the 8.05am bus in a morning to Manor Top-remember it well!

Or maybe I am having a mumsy moment!

Creswick St did run from top of Whitehouse Lane down to Langsett but got split somewhere thro the years.

I remember working at Creswick St Nursery-now a family centre (at the side of St Barts) and walking all the way back up Crookes-killers them there hills!!

lol

mumsy

Used to be a good chippy where Camm Street met Heavygate Road :)

Can anyone tell me where Creswick Street was at Walkley?

Creswick Street was at the bottom of Carr Rd on the corner is the Belle View Pub. Used to live at 144 before emigrating to NZ in the late sixties. Not surprised they demolished the whole area. The only good thing left are the memories of the people that lived there.

Used to be a good chippy where Camm Street met Heavygate Road :)

One of my old neighbours ran this chippy in the few years before it closed 'Rachel'

Also remember the corner shop at the end of Camm St too.

Great chippy though!

mumsyx

Creswick Street was at the bottom of Carr Rd on the corner is the Belle View Pub. Used to live at 144 before emigrating to NZ in the late sixties. Not surprised they demolished the whole area. The only good thing left are the memories of the people that lived there.

Bit harsh that trevorm-I live close by the bottom of Carr Rd and Walkley still has a good community.

mumsy

Archived