Anyone emigrated to the USA?

Eddie Rex

If you have a job in the States the company may or may not cover your health insurance. Most employees who have a pre-existing condition are not covered for that particuler problem. So you are covered for anything until you claim then that goes out the window. If you manage to live into retirement you will be charged $100 a month for part B which covers you for doctors visits and some medication. Part B doesn't cover every state, in fact doesn't cover every county since the company operating the system may not operate there. So if you travel within the USA you will probably not be insured and will have to pay a hefty doctors bill.

My advice to you is if you're as poor as a church mouse or as rich as Rockerfeller then you're ok, otherwise stay well away. Don't ask, OK.

I hear you, Gerry. And in the profession from which I recently retired I would undoubtedly have benefitted from a decent group medical plan had I lived and worked there. Back in the late 60s when there was all that unrest on university campuses in the states, I was offered a job in Riverside, California. I turned it down and instead went to Newfoundland, of all places. I used to get ribbed about it at international gatherings. "Hey, I want to introduce you to this guy who turned down a job near Palm Springs to go and live in somewhere called New Finland." The guy who did this the most was the one who took the job after I'd turned it down. You've guessed it - another Canadian. :hihi:

I imagine that Newfoundland is pretty much like Cape Breton, N.S. rogG, so you probably enjoy some of the best lobsters in the world.

visited many state's not two of them alike, many very nice but all had one think in common not one would I trade for Canada ,in fact the 60s the first time I felt Canada was home I was so glad to get back across that border

I imagine that Newfoundland is pretty much like Cape Breton, N.S. rogG, so you probably enjoy some of the best lobsters in the world.

Similar, but even more rugged and with a more hostile climate, Gerry. But I don't live there anymore. I'm on a smaller, slightly less isolated island, Prince Edward Island, where we get world class lobsters, mussels and oysters. Mmmmm.

But I have travelled quite a bit in the states. My favorite vacationing spots were New Hampshire, New Orleans (who could forget the Big Easy) and naturally, Hawaii. You'd have to be cracked not to like it there. :D

I remember visiting PEI before they built the bridge and one of the camp sites we stayed in, we had an RV then, a Sheffield couple owned it. She had modified her accent but not him. ar long o tha stayin, he said, two neets wi thee. And so we both had a good natter in our native tongue.

What would the chances of 2 young (late 20's) guys getting a green card to emigrate there who own their own company? Basically, we are possibly looking at going over to extend our business, but at the same time we both really like the USA and would love to emigrate.

My dad is a green card holder. Would that make it any easier?

Archived