Does any1 remember lady bagshaw

pavlo1969

I know the house exceedingly well and once visited it when it was open to the public. In later years I've had the chance to work on and crawl all over the house from the cellars to the attic spaces.

There are pics of it on the Norton history site and my favorite memory is of seeing a few elephants that had come from the circus that used to stay in the park coming down the drive and into the courtyard to drink from a big old metal trough outside the kitchen.

my great gran was lady Bagshaws maid and my G.grandad was the stable lad......they lived in 1 of the cottages in oak's park.....i remember when the circus came, i used to help clean the big tent in a mourning.....it was a shame when they built that dual carriageway through the middle of the park.

I used to live very near Oakes park several years ago and used to see old Lady Bagshaw on the odd occasion. Every now and again, usually after the Star had called her a recluse, she would appear in her Rolls Royce and all the local residents used to touch their caps to her.

I used to be a member of Norton Oakes Cricket Club (not a playing member - more a drinking member) Lady Bagshaw used to let the members fish in a pond on her land.

After she died her cousin, Thornber Bagshawe, took over the house and held a sale of some of the contents - still got a beautiful white damask tablecloth we got for next to nothing.

• 2 years later...

I have lost count of the times they chased us of for fishing round the back of the house.

There was two other ponds nearer the house full of rud,roach,perch and pike,we were shot at a few times with the cartridges full of rise but they still stung your arse.

They had a sign up beware of the adders to keep people away but no one ever saw one.

• 2 years later...

hi we moved on the valley in April 1960 when it was a growing estate, i remember oas park very well as well as caddying for golfers lees hall golf clud we also did a spot of fishing in one of the ponds on the estate. we never used rods but a spool of line with a couple of floats and hooks we did manage to catch a few small fish, it was alleged to be a big pyke in their but i doubt it, plus we often got chased off by someone dont know who he was but we out ran him every time. it was the same in rolleston woods we would go in there and light a small fire and put potatos that we nicked from our mums that was untill the park keeper would catch us and take us home for a thich ear from ma the parkie was a horrid man looked like blakey in on the buses always had a black gabadine coat on and peak cap right jobs worth, we were doing no harm

Archived