Seasons Abbeydale Road

samstar999

I think we (my wife and I) had a one off bad experience. I know a lot of people who have recommended Seasons to us so we decided to go but it wasn’t to our liking. I don’t know if it was just one of those times but the hype was not justified.

In all honesty the food was good (but not fantastic) but the service, layout and lack of consideration by other diners let the experience down, not that Seasons can be accountable for other diners but the staff should be able to deal with situations better.

I had the lamb main course (didn’t have my first choice) and it was nice but a little fatty and IMO small to medium portions (I’m not of a big build either). The dessert and the starter were equally tasty but not something you can’t experience at a number of restaurants in the neighbourhood.

The wine and drinks were expensive.

There is a seating area at the front of the restaurant. A group of diners (6-8 people) were meeting and one of the couples was late so instead of sitting at the table the waitress let them sit on the sofa. Not normally a problem except there wasn’t enough room for all the diners to sit and obviously to make things work financially the amount of tables in the restaurant meant it was a little cramped. So imagine as were eating the people on the sofa were less then a foot away from my face. The guys stood directly behind my chair kept knocking into me while trying to eat so in the end I put my knife & fork down and tried to get the waitress attention as I didn’t feel it was appropriate to speak to the diner directly. The waitress (eventually) did notice what was happening and asked if everything was o.k. just as I got a nice shove in the back again so I understandably said no and after a few more minuets the guests were seated.

Generally the service was poor and that’s after we made allowances for them being busy. In summary it was as if we were not welcome and we came on time and were polite and open minded about what to expect so I don’t know why we got a less then average service, we assumed it was just one of those times.

Unfortunately we won’t be going back as there were too many things we didn’t like to give Seasons another chance. I’m all for keeping the smaller restaurants in business, especially if its family owned but we just didn’t have a pleasant evening and I would rather spend my £85+ and have an enjoyable time. I did consider writing a letter to Seasons to outline our experience and take it on board or not but I’m afraid I didn’t do this soon enough (our visit was in February) and there seems to be many positive posts so I will post our experience.

However all the rave reviews and recommendations must be justified and there’s only one way to find out what a place is like and that’s try it for your self.

Well you've saved yourself the trouble of writing a letter at least. Thanks for your lengthy review, I'm deeply, deeply sorry your visit wasn't up to the understandably high standards you have come to expect. I can assure you that myself and all my staff pour our very hearts and souls into to trying to make everybody's visit a pleasurable experience every single night of the week. Regretably, we are mere humans and I guess from time to time you just have to accept that there'll be nights when you simply can't please everybody; as much as that breaks my heart.

If ever you do find it in your hearts to grace us with your presence again, let us know in advance and we'll do our utmost to ensure you are seated well away from any of our other customers. We will happily make the safeguarding of your personal space from inconsiderate members of the public, our number one priority.

Once again, on the behalf of myself, the now jobless waitress in question and of the rude and inconsiderate diners that plague us from time to time, I offer my humblest apologies.

now, now voodoodanny, don't be sarky, everyone can't love you everytime. tch! :D

It's a shame you didn't see the posting about the meal meet, samstar999, we had a great time and the entire place to ourselves. Not only that, as we were a large party, danny gave us a special choice of menu and a special forummer's price.

It was great and to say there were almost 20 of us, chef did a great job of getting us all served within minutes of one another. The puddings were to die for, if only I'd been able to have them all :P

So our experience was almost all positive. I think the drinking people were a bit dismayed at the drink prices which was the only downside we seemed to experience?

now, now voodoodanny, don't be sarky, everyone can't love you everytime. tch! :D

It's a shame you didn't see the posting about the meal meet, samstar999, we had a great time and the entire place to ourselves. Not only that, as we were a large party, danny gave us a special choice of menu and a special forummer's price.

It was great and to say there were almost 20 of us, chef did a great job of getting us all served within minutes of one another. The puddings were to die for, if only I'd been able to have them all :P

So our experience was almost all positive. I think the drinking people were a bit dismayed at the drink prices which was the only downside we seemed to experience?

Sarky? Where??

Yeah, we're not known for our drinks offers but our mark-ups are consistent with similar establishments in the industry; with the wine you get what you pay for too. Twelve and a half quid gets you a bottle of one of the nicest Australian Shiraz-Cabernets I've ever tasted!

Anyway, we don't want the place teeming with drunks now, do we? Heh, that said, we're still cheaper than some of the pubs and clubs in town! Let's just say we're doing our bit for the community. :hihi:

I've been thinking about going for a while now as I live quite close. Is it very pricey?

We're not dirt cheap but we like to think you get what you pay for. Main courses are £11.95 (cheddar cheese souflee) - £15.95 (fillet steak). Starters are £4.95 (galette of melon & parma ham) - £6.50 (seafood filo parcel), and all desserts are £5.95 (and are ALL home-made).

Archived