Was There A Speedway Rider Named Martin Hagan?

Many thanks Chairboy,

It is not the sport that interests me but being able to find the answers.

The memory is of snotty little urchins (of which I was one) skidding their bikes and shouting "Tommy Allott takes the bend"

The only sports I ever participated in were: cross country, cycling, potholing, swimming, sub-aqua and very occasionally rugby. From this you will deduce that I am not really a team player. Neither am I a spectator. The only professional game I have ever watched was Sheff United vs Preston Northend in about 1953. I thought I was going to be crushed to death in the scrum for the gates after the match!

I was 11 in 1950, the year I started at Nether Edge.

Mike

I remember Martin Hagon in the '80's. He rode with the engine laid down in the frame but was stopped from doing it. Now they all build their bikes this way.

His father was Alf Hagon, speedway rider, grass track racer and drag racer.

I saw him at RAF Elvington in the late '60's doing 200+ mph on a 1200cc JAP engined monster. The Hagons are quite a famous family in the world of motorcycle sport.

Archived