Tell me about Brightside Bierlow

tapetino

I want to be told anything and everything about this area of Sheffield up to the clearance of the old dwellings and shops. My original search got me into the Pyecroft school thread and I've already had help there from Pitsmoorboy and Capricorn II but I need to get more specific. The focus of my interest is The Cromwell View. In 1901 that pub was run by George Clark and my wife's grandad lived there. What was it like for a 14 year boy growing up in Brightside then. Do you see where I'm going?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello tapetino, My dad came from brightside Bierlow, they lived on stancer street, where my grandad sold fags etc from a house come shop at no 1.

I also had relations on apple street and the pheasant yard. where was your pub situated?

there was also a bloke who kept donkeys. his name was benny cockles.

I want to be told anything and everything about this area of Sheffield up to the clearance of the old dwellings and shops. My original search got me into the Pyecroft school thread and I've already had help there from Pitsmoorboy and Capricorn II but I need to get more specific. The focus of my interest is The Cromwell View. In 1901 that pub was run by George Clark and my wife's grandad lived there. What was it like for a 14 year boy growing up in Brightside then. Do you see where I'm going?

Hi Tapetino,

The name Brightside Bierlow didn't necessarily mean just "Brightside", it was a township within the parish of Sheffield and included the hamlets of Brightside, Grimesthorpe, Pitsmoor and Neepsend etc..

In fact the "Cromwell View" was in Pitsmoor and as a kid in the 1940's I used to play round there with my friends. The area was predominatly built of "back to back" court houses of some three stories high.

With Bridgehouses goods station on the doorstep most of the people at the turn of the century would be railway workers. Across the road from the pub was a lane going to what was called "the owd 'ill" which overlooked the Railway yard,at the top of the lane was the Pawn Shop.

At the other end of "the owd 'ill" were the "Bullrocks" overlooking Champs Hill, where we all used to play.

regards Capricorn

Hi Capricorn

I remember Bullrocks and Champs Hill, used to live on Johnson Street near there. Used to climb Bullrocks as a short cut to shops for my mum! Used to sledge down Champs Hill too when it snowed.

Did you know the Harlequin pub?

Hi Capricorn

I remember Bullrocks and Champs Hill, used to live on Johnson Street near there. Used to climb Bullrocks as a short cut to shops for my mum! Used to sledge down Champs Hill too when it snowed.

the harlequin has been commemmorated, alw... (I used to have my lunch in the Harleqin in the early eighties when I woked at the back of the wicker- aaaah happy days)

the Manchester arms, on Nursery Street has been renamed "The Harlequin".

Hi Capricorn

Hi,

If you lived on Johnson Street near to the Harlequin in the 40's and 50's, would your name by any chance be Dempsey or Barnet ?

Regards

Hi Tapetino,

The name Brightside Bierlow didn't necessarily mean just "Brightside", it was a township within the parish of Sheffield and included the hamlets of Brightside, Grimesthorpe, Pitsmoor and Neepsend etc..

In fact the "Cromwell View" was in Pitsmoor and as a kid in the 1940's I used to play round there with my friends. The area was predominatly built of "back to back" court houses of some three stories high.

With Bridgehouses goods station on the doorstep most of the people at the turn of the century would be railway workers. Across the road from the pub was a lane going to what was called "the owd 'ill" which overlooked the Railway yard,at the top of the lane was the Pawn Shop.

At the other end of "the owd 'ill" were the "Bullrocks" overlooking Champs Hill, where we all used to play.

regards Capricorn

Hi,

All this sounds very familiar but I can't place the Cromwell View. Where was it? I knew where most of the pubs were in that local but not many names - only the Merry Heart on Spital Street, corner of Brunswick Road.

I used to climb up and down the Bull Rocks four times a day - then on Marcus St. - on my way to, and from, Pye Bank. (say 1945-1948).

I used to sled down Champs Hill. It was fine until you went under the railway bridge (no snow) and ground to a stop with sparks flying.

Do you remember Whitby and Chandlers, the business half way up Champs Hill ?

Regards

Hi,

All this sounds very familiar but I can't place the Cromwell View. Where was it? I knew where most of the pubs were in that local but not many names - only the Merry Heart on Spital Street, corner of Brunswick Road.

I used to climb up and down the Bull Rocks four times a day - then on Marcus St. - on my way to, and from, Pye Bank. (say 1945-1948).

I used to sled down Champs Hill. It was fine until you went under the railway bridge (no snow) and ground to a stop with sparks flying.

Do you remember Whitby and Chandlers, the business half way up Champs Hill ?

Regards

Hi Falls,

I lived just off Rock st from 1936 to '64, all thro' the War years, used to go to Holy Trinity Church, cubs, scouts, youth club etc...was even a choirboy at the church. Went in Harlequin a few times when I got older also Stanley Street W.M.Club. Manchester Hotel just round corner near Aizlewoods now called Harlequin, don't know reason why!

My father looked after the "Wembley" (playground) on Oborne Street during the late 50's, so knew the area very well.

Cromwell View pub was at top of Spital Street corner of Verdon Street, frontage was kind of dark red & white tiles.

All changed now. Brand new road now going thro' the place where you lived!

regards

Hi Guys. You are all doing fantastically well for me. Obviously I've got nothing to contribute because all I know is what I got from my partner - a Rotherham girl - her family pictures - and the research that I am doing. But all of your contributions are being soaked up. I'm loving it.

If anyone has pictures that I could borrow and copy I have a relative there who will collect and return them.

Archived