Tell me about Brightside Bierlow

tapetino

Hi Falls,

I lived just off Rock st from 1936 to '64, all thro' the War years, used to go to Holy Trinity Church, cubs, scouts, youth club etc...was even a choirboy at the church. Went in Harlequin a few times when I got older also Stanley Street W.M.Club. Manchester Hotel just round corner near Aizlewoods now called Harlequin, don't know reason why!

My father looked after the "Wembley" (playground) on Oborne Street during the late 50's, so knew the area very well.

Cromwell View pub was at top of Spital Street corner of Verdon Street, frontage was kind of dark red & white tiles.

All changed now. Brand new road now going thro' the place where you lived!

regards

Hi,

I lived on Stanley Street (1937-1960), opposite the end of Joiner Street.

I remember the pub on the corner of Spital Street and Verdon Street but never really knew its name. Knew a lot of kids in the area through school but can't remember many names - old age creeping in. After 1961, my mother lived on Thistle Street until the demolition, when she moved to Batemoor.

I was also in the cubs (158 Holy Trinity). Remember Mabel and Bill Walton who ran it?. Went into the Scouts there but didn't stay very long. I think the scout leader was called Bill Barber when I was around. Then somebody called Mills(?)

I remember the Wembley on Oborne Street well. Used to know two brothers who lived on the street almost opposite the play ground. There name was Bramhall. The older one, Roy(?), was in my class at Pye Bank. There was a lad lived round the corner on Railway Street. His name was Terry Lemons.

There was another lad lived on Marcus Street, a few doors from the pub, called Terry Somerset. He was in my class right through school.

Did you remember a lad called Alan Bradley? He went to Pye Bank and was in the cubs and scouts at Holy Trinity. He also lived either on Rock Street or Fox Hill.

Any of these names ring a bell ? If i'm getting too personal, send me a PM.

Regards

Hi,

I remember the pub on the corner of Spital Street and Verdon Street but never really knew its name. Knew a lot of kids in the area through school but can't remember many names - old age creeping in. After 1961, my mother lived on Thistle Street until the demolition, when she moved to Batemoor.

I was also in the cubs (158 Holy Trinity). Remember Mabel and Bill Walton who ran it?. Went into the Scouts there but didn't stay very long. I think the scout leader was called Bill Barber when I was around. Then somebody called Mills(?)

I remember the Wembley on Oborne Street well. Used to know two brothers who lived on the street almost opposite the play ground. There name was Bramhall. The older one, Roy(?), was in my class at Pye Bank. There was a lad lived round the corner on Railway Street. His name was Terry Lemons.

There was another lad lived on Marcus Street, a few doors from the pub, called Terry Somerset. He was in my class right through school.

Did you remember a lad called Alan Bradley? He went to Pye Bank and was in the cubs and scouts at Holy Trinity. He also lived either on Rock Street or Fox Hill.

Regards

Hi,

Don't remember many houses on Johnson st.,except the church caretakers house. I remember Bill & Mabel Walton, she was Akala of course, also the other two you mention Frankie Barbe and Billy Mills

Hi,

Regards

Hi,

I don't remember many houses on Johnson St., apart from the Church caretakers house.

I do remember Bill and Mabel Walton, she was "Akala" of course with the cubs, where we used to "dib-dib-dib in the bottom Church Hall. The other two you mention were Frankie Barber and Billy Mills, who by the way used to work for LEP transport in one of the arches on Walker St.

Did you know Ron Ballard?, he lived on Marcus Street, Brunswick Rd. end, he'll be about 74 now.

I went to Pye Bank 1941/1947 along with F Hewitt and his wife Ann (nee Taylor) I see them both fairly regularly. Terry Somerset, Roy Bramall and Terry Lemons all come to mind.

Happy Days!!!

will send you a PM.

• 5 months later...

Hi Tapetino,

Sorry to take so long to answer your question re Barnett's and Dempsey's but I borrowed someone elses PC but now have my own!

The Dempsey's were my relatives and the Barnett's lived next door to them.

RedStar

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My paternal family came from Princess Street which was classed as Brightside Bierlow and lived there until they moved onto the new parson cross. As my GG grandfather worked in the steelworks so lived in the terrace houses that backed onto the railway line.

My maternal family owned the harlequin and also the blackmiths at the bottom of duke street. The last landlady at the harlequin before it was demolished has some family pictures. She moved to the Red House on Scotland Street and I believe but not sure if she has moved to the old manchester pub and changed it's name to the harlequin.

Archived