Class

What does it mean to you?

I wear a suit to work, I don't swear often, I consider myself intelligent and articulate, well informed and politically active.

(I'll add for the moment, slightly inebriated).

I happened to go into burger king earlier because I was early for my swim and needed some food.

I felt like I belonged to a differnet class of people from the clientelle and staff. I don't normally feel like this, and before I get jumped on, some of my friends have jobs rather than careers, and no more education than GCSE level. But even they are intelligent, just not educated. They are still articulate, although maybe not to the same level as myself. The are certainly aware of current events, and possibly have some advantages on me in terms of social interaction (I don't like football, that's always awkward).

Things that make me notice a person as different can be many and varied. Dress, shell suits, track suits (unless in a gym), personal hygiene (actually that's a big one). A vacant expression and inability to respond sensibly to any question, random swearing (another big one), and also things that are really just an indication of income (a prejudice, damn my leathery hide), for example getting a cab from the supermarket...

I've forgotten where i'm going with this. Shoot me down as you will, or just comment.

Well, i was just joking. Its ok to feel out of place sometimes, but i don't think that is to do with class. It is more to do with your attitudes and expections. In my experience, the only class that seem to have any trouble getting on with people are the middle class... maybe its because they have a fear of becoming lower class, and strive to be upper class, so are never quite content.

Just try and take each person as you find them and don't worry about class.

surely class is about attitudes and expectations though amonst other things.

I certainly didn't fear becoming like those people, or other people like that that i've come across.

I just find that I can't really relate, and that they assume certain differences as well because of my accent/clothing/use of language/etc.

Did I say in my original post, a strong regional accent? I should have done. No offence, and my grandparents and a few friends have strong accents. But I don't, my parents don't (although stronger than mine) and most of my friends don't.

I don't think I aspire to be high class. I aspire to be rich, but don't we all. And i'll probably end up, pretty well off. If I won the lottery tomorrow i might by a country mansion (is it a big jackpot?) and I already host cocktail parties and dinner for friends. What is high class, what is middle class and what is working class? I think i'm saying that i'm already good enough, or the best I can be, having blue blood doesn't make you better, having more education doesn't make you better. But then i'm contradicting myself, almost. Education changes people, broadens their horizons. Although some can rise above it's lack, not everyone can.... So.... what....

Agree with you Cyclone. It's a shame though that you almost feel you have to apologise for being yourself. Howcome there's so much pride in being "working class" but a lot of the middle classes feel almost ashamed of themselves? When I go into the city centre I see a lot of different people from different backgrounds and I admit I do feel uncomfortable near people who constantly swear, spit, litter, etc.

Cocktail parties don't have anything to do with class, that's to do with being stuck in the 80's. Education has nothing to do with class, but it does improve a person.

Also, the fact that you two feel uncomfortable is part of my point... the middle class seem to be the most unhappy and unable to mix among the classes, and i'm not quite sure why.

Archived