What was there before the Roxy/Cinema

gd_1

norfolk street, ran right down to the bus station, IIRC... have a look on Picture sheffield for what it was like before the Roxy! (hence the sheffield sayin "Tha's got a face as long as Norfolk St, 'sup wi thi?"

the pics of the norfolk st area start here:-

http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl

Hi PT

Can't access the photos without password and email address being given so not seen them.

However, I think the original dance place was the Top Rank as I can't recall anything there before that. Then came Steely's followed by the Roxy. I think when it was Roxy's it was owned by Barry Noble, but not sure.

There is another thread which you might find of interest in the History and Expats about the Rank

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=141848

It's mostly from people who used to go or work there (like my husband and myself).

I had heard recently they are thinking of demolishing the building, but with the NCP Car Park underneath, it might be rather a big job, unless the car park is going too!!

I nearly forgot, the buildign was never a cinema, that was the bingo round the back just off Fitzalan Square. It used to be an Odeon in the mid 60's.

Hi PT

Can't access the photos without password and email address being given so not seen them.

However, I think the original dance place was the Top Rank as I can't recall anything there before that. Then came Steely's followed by the Roxy. I think when it was Roxy's it was owned by Barry Noble, but not sure.

There is another thread which you might find of interest in the History and Expats about the Rank

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=141848

It's mostly from people who used to go or work there (like my husband and myself).

I had heard recently they are thinking of demolishing the building, but with the NCP Car Park underneath, it might be rather a big job, unless the car park is going too!!

I nearly forgot, the buildign was never a cinema, that was the bingo round the back just off Fitzalan Square. It used to be an Odeon in the mid 60's.

you are correct, it was top rank, then steely's then Barry noble's roxy nitespot! :confused: or "poxy roxy, the dirty pick up place" as my mother used to call it. Ccan't you tel she hated nightclubs? lol

and yes the odeon which became the bingo hall was on the junction of esperanto place and flat st. it's believed it had the shortest history of all Sheffield Cinemas , being open (IIRC) 9 yrs as a cinema.

I remember before the NCP and Top Rank. The area where the car park stands was vegetation on a hillside. I remember waiting for the no 59 Bradway bus opposite the college and looking up at Christmas when the shrubbery was illuminated!

Archived