Anyone heard of Power2Contact?

Has anyone had dealings with this company before?

Basically i have had a letter this morning from this company from a debt i have with Vodafone for £163.47. The thing is i haven't just stuck my head in the sand regarding my debt, i have a lovely woman at a support centre doing it all and she's contacted Vodafone on numerous occasions and heard nothing back. My other debts have all replied, some have offered my token offer, others haven't.

The letter reads as follows:-

'We have been instructed by our client to visit your address to collect the above debt.

You have made this action necessary as you have ignored all their requests to contact them, and you have failed to pay your account.

Our visits take place within the following hours:-

Monday - Friday 91m-8pm

Saturday 9am - 12 noon

Should you wish to avoid this course of action, you must contact our instructing agent within 72 hours of receipt of this notice:-

Address

Phone number

FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS REQUEST MAY LEAD TO THE ABOVE ACTION WITHOUT FURTHER WARNING OR NOTICE'

Yours Faithfully

Name

POWER2CONTACT LTD'

Does this mean bailiffs? I don't want them in my house, what can i do? I've been told to tell them to take me to court instead, can i do that? I just don't know what to do, i can't afford to pay this money i wouldn't mind but its not like i haven't tried to contact them to offer them payment. I'm a single parent on benefits at the moment, i do plan on going back to work in August but this needs sorting now and not then :( .

Thanks in advance.

PLEASE NOTE i don't need any lectures about debt, it was a mistake i made getting into debt and i am now trying to sort the situation out.

These aren't baififfs they are a dodgy debt collection agency. You can either ignore them and tell them to ****** off if they turn up or can write and tell them that their letter is threatening and is a form of harassment and that you will take legal action against them if they turn up. If you write to them in that way then they won't turn up.

In the event that it gets to bailifs then they will have had to take you to court first, then court again to get another order to instruct bailiffs. If you don't let them in then they can do anything either of course so never let a bailaiff in ever. All this time it will rack up costs so I am not recomending it as a course of action, just telling you what can happen.

These aren't baififfs they are a dodgy debt collection agency. You can either ignore them and tell them to ****** off if they turn up or can write and tell them that their letter is threatening and is a form of harassment and that you will take legal action against them if they turn up. If you write to them in that way then they won't turn up.

In the event that it gets to bailifs then they will have had to take you to court first, then court again to get another order to instruct bailiffs. If you don't let them in then they can do anything either of course so never let a bailaiff in ever. All this time it will rack up costs so I am not recomending it as a course of action, just telling you what can happen.

Thank you Ken, i think i'm going to give them a ring and give them a piece of my mind then. I would rather it go to courts if absolutely neccessary as then i can pay back only what i can afford and not what they expect me to pay, i would never let it get to the bailiff stage as i would stick to a court order, i just don't appreciate getting these sort of letters every other day from the company Vodafone has hired. Thanks again.

Thank you Ken, i think i'm going to give them a ring and give them a piece of my mind then. I would rather it go to courts if absolutely neccessary as then i can pay back only what i can afford and not what they expect me to pay, i would never let it get to the bailiff stage as i would stick to a court order, i just don't appreciate getting these sort of letters every other day from the company Vodafone has hired. Thanks again.

I wouldn't ring them, I would write and be as rude and theatening in return (edited to say : - in a reaonable way, not offensive) You should bear in mind that you probably have nothing from Vodaphone telling you to pay a third party. If I came to your house tonight and said "you owe vodaphone £163 so pay me £250 to cover my costs" then wold you pay me or would you say "who the **** are you?".

I would write and say that a) you need written authorisation direct from vodafone explaining who they are before you will deal with them, b) that you are harassed and threatened by their letter and they must not, under any cirumstances turn up are your house or you will take legal action against them now they have been warned.

• 7 months later...

As I understand it Bailiffs can normally only break in with an eviction order, they can cajole themselves into the house or climb in through an open window with normal debtors orders, but so long as you don't invite them in and keep your windows shut you should be ok.

If it hasn't gone to Court, then they have no rights at all.

As this article shows Bailliffs often act outside the law.

You need to know your rights and if they do anything illegal call the police.

• 9 months later...

A band of hard liners who prefer not to go to court - My advice is LET THEM GO TO COURT. As for the BALIFF bit, my local Council and the Citizens Advice Bureau have ALL advised me not to let them in AT ALL. Don't open the door to them. Also note the time and the date that they call or write to you - the excessive frequency could be usefull in court.

Best

• 3 years later...

ive had these today post a letter through my letterbox

Conclusion

1 they don't work for the council

2 it aint a court matter

3 when you take out a loan or card and you agree on the insurance the other company get a payout to cover loss the collections are another way of milking the customer ..

4 simple DO NOT TAKE ANY FLAK from them COURT 99.9% of the time DO NOT EXCEPT these little parasites only if its Council Tax Arrears, Rent arrears if you still live in that property, police fines and court fines these little weazels cannot do S**T so just give them the 2 finger salute and give them the Farmer gyles saying "GET ORF MY LAND"

I'm no expert, but you'll probably find that this highly questionable company has 'bought' the debt from Vodafone for a nominal fee, in the hopes of frightening you into paying the full amount, plus more if you were gullible enough to go along with it.

Unless it's gone to court, they have no power to force you to pay them. They can't do anything without a court order, and the letter they have sent you is tantamount to intimidation!

I think all you need to do at this stage is to contact the debt collection agency in writing (prob best recorded delivery) informing them that the debt is in dispute and to refer the case back to Vodafone. It's up to Vodafone to prove to you that a debt exists. If they ignore your letter and continue to pursue the debt with you, then they'd be guilty of harrassment etc and would be comitting a criminal offence (Protection from Harassment Act 1997 ).

Archived