Part Worn Tyres,Would You Buy Them?

We have been pricing some tyres up this afternoon and went to a place near Doncaster and the man there showed us some part worn tyres.

They were obviously a lot cheaper than new ones, but I am not sure how safe they would be.

I think that they may have come off a car that hasn't been driven properley, ie bumped up and down kerbs or one that might have an accident and they may be damaged.

Do the tyres have to go through some sort of safety check before they can be sold?

Thanks,

Maggie.

They don't go through a safety check as such, but you can see evidence of damage - part worn tyres are nothing to be afraid of, and are often a really good bargain.

Plenty of people change a whole set of tyres when one or two are still quite low on wear, which is where good quality used tyres come from (I did exactly that today - so somebody is going to get two half-worn Michelins) - there doesn't have to be any worrying reason for them to be for sale.

go check out the prices at autodynamics in attercliffe, (alloy wheel place)they beat anyones prices for tyres, you wouldnt need part worn ones. i use them all the time and always recommend. if they havent got what u need in stock, they usually order for the next day. give em a ring on 0114 2431019.

where abouts is the place you went to?

my boyf is looking for some part worns, he usually gets his from the caravan park at rotherham, but theyve not got the right size in :(

Hi weenireeni,

Just asked my fella and he says that the place we asked about part worns was Rotherham, We got a quote for new ones in Doncaster, anyway the name of the place in Rotherham was 'Top Treads' and they are on Masbrough street near the train station, I will pm you the phone number.

Hi weenireeni,

Just asked my fella and he says that the place we asked about part worns was Rotherham, We got a quote for new ones in Doncaster, anyway the name of the place in Rotherham was 'Top Treads' and they are on Masbrough street near the train station, I will pm you the phone number.

thanks very much :):thumbsup:

Nothing to worry about,just check the tyres before purchasing. New tyres for our car are £100 each, but we got a part worn one this morning (in almost new condition) for £25.

what size tyre for £100 new?

on a part worn tyre you have to check if it had puncture repair! and check sidewall for damage, if a new one is £50 whats the point in buying a part worn for £20:huh: , the tyre is the only thing in contact with the road is saving a few £££ really worth it when it could save you/family life!