Part Worn Tyres,Would You Buy Them?

Shows how much you care about the people you have in your car:loopy:, Different brands on same axle and cheap crap will have a lot of difference in grip, just prey you dont have to brake very hard when driving. i just had 4 new tyres from costco on my car and it was very reasonable price, dont risk your family or freinds life

i agree but how often can you get a set of 2 same brand and wear on a part worn tyre? if you drive fast its makes a massive difference if you have different brand wear tyre on same axle, hence i would say no, as your/family safety is worth more then a few £££,

Squeakyclean

if you need reinforced tyres! thats more reason not to buy second hand as you dont know whats its been use for before and can have side wall damage, £25 buys you a 50%-75% worn tyre maybe, how much are you really saving? a galaxy carrys upto 8 people is it worth risking their safety for a few extra £££

How about driving within one's own abilities?

Tho you make a valid point about matching tyres both sides of an "axle"

I've bought loads of part worn tyres and have additionally driven thousands of miles on part worn tyres I don't know the history of, and I've never had a problem with them.

Every car I've ever bought has had 5 part worns with it. Ever car I've ever hired has come on part worns, and every taxi I've ever been in has had part worns.

Never been a problem.

I bought two part worns for the family wagon in fact - they were a stop-gap while I waited for my winter tyres to arrive and were only on the car a week. They were fine too, but I paid a bit extra for Michelins with a bit more tread than was on the cheapest choice. I note though that although they both have a lot of tread, only one is a Michelin. Caveat emptor and all that.

I used to buy part worns but got fed up of getting budget used tyres, and different tyres on each wheel, for the exta cost I prefer new tyres where I can choose the brand, read reviews and have better performance.

I paid £120 per corner for my Uniroyal Rainsport 2's, and I would never go back to a cheaper brand, the difference is astronomical.

You are driving on part worn tyres all the time, only when they are brand new are they not part worn. They all have different wear on them as no road or vehicle is perfect.

It is better use a good part worn, than a second class new tyre.

When I buy a second hand car the first things I usually change are the tyres..I at least will know the history of them then...

Do you buy the ones you've watched being made and QA tested?

You're being silly now....Are you saying that a brand new premium tyre is less safe than a part worn that you have no idea of the history of..? But each to their own....I'd rather not try to skimp on the one thing that has contact with the road...the only thing that,in the end,controls the car...if your happy with seconds that's up to you..

You're being silly now....Are you saying that a brand new premium tyre is less safe than a part worn that you have no idea of the history of..? But each to their own....I'd rather not try to skimp on the one thing that has contact with the road...the only thing that,in the end,controls the car...if your happy with seconds that's up to you..
I haven't actually said one way or the other. I have, in the past bought part worn, but I've mostly bought new.

If money is tight so new is unaffordable, then a part worn is better than the "even more worn" currently on the car.

• 3 years later...
There is nothing wrong with the tyre we bought (my Oh examined it for tread etc) We are safety concious,the tyre that was changed still had some life left.

And the one you changed they will sell to a mug for £20. They are a waste of time i had some put on at old fire station mansfield road took car in 2 weeks later failed test on tyres. Also had a blow out on motorway so they should be banned. You are always having to look at them to see if pressure is right Do not go on a motorway with them on you are risking your life .:help::help: