Part Worn Tyres,Would You Buy Them?

And the one you changed they will sell to a mug for £20. They are a waste of time i had some put on at old fire station mansfield road took car in 2 weeks later failed test on tyres. Also had a blow out on motorway so they should be banned. You are always having to look at them to see if pressure is right Do not go on a motorway with them on you are risking your life .:help::help:

So your saying that you wouldn't check the pressure on a new tyre periodically?

Tyres should be changed at 3mm as this is the point at which the performance particularly in wet weather braking really starts to drop, think of it as hitting a wall similar to the wall that the F1 drivers experience when their tyres start to fail to work properly. Part worn tyres usually come from Germany and are a result of German drivers understanding the importance of having good condition and quality tyres on their cars and as a result they all change well before 3mm. Then what happens is a tyres dealer pops over to Germany and does a deal to buy a container load of Part worn tyres and providing they are stamped (and not all part worn tyres are) they can be sold here perfectly legally to motorists who don't have a clue that they are buying a tyre that is not usually dangerous (unless missing stamp) as a result of having a defect, but dangerous because you will still be doing 50mph when the car in front on 3mm plus tyres has stopped. Let me leave you with an interesting figure, a Ford Focus traveling at 70mph on 1.8mm tyres (legal limit 1.6mm) will take an extra 44 meters to stop and will still be doing 50mph when the same car on 3mm tyres would have stopped!!!

Tyres are NOT all the same, do your homework.

They don't go through a safety check as such, but you can see evidence of damage - part worn tyres are nothing to be afraid of, and are often a really good bargain.

Plenty of people change a whole set of tyres when one or two are still quite low on wear, which is where good quality used tyres come from (I did exactly that today - so somebody is going to get two half-worn Michelins) - there doesn't have to be any worrying reason for them to be for sale.

What a load off rubbish :help::help:

---------- Post added 06-06-2014 at 23:30 ----------

what size tyre for £100 new?

on a part worn tyre you have to check if it had puncture repair! and check sidewall for damage, if a new one is £50 whats the point in buying a part worn for £20:huh: , the tyre is the only thing in contact with the road is saving a few £££ really worth it when it could save you/family life!

Most second hand tyres have had puncture repairs and side wall damage . Do not go on a motorway with these on . If you need telling you are an idiot :hihi::hihi: A part worn tyre at old fire station mansfield road £20 5 minutes guarantee not balanced and wants renewing after 6 weeks. The place looks like out of a dickens novel / A brand new tyre top quality one on richmond park road near aldi £45 balanced 12 months guarantee good grief are you thick

Edited by spider1

If you mean remould tyres from a garage then yes!!!

---------- Post added 06-06-2014 at 23:52 ----------

Remould tyres are not part worn, But dont last as long as a new tyre, They are made from old tyres melted down and remoulded. Cheap but don't last as long.

When I buy a second hand car the first things I usually change are the tyres..I at least will know the history of them then...

Do you change the steering rack, brake linings, brake fluid, kingpins, shock absorbers, coil springs, hand brake cable?

If you buy a brand new tyre you only have to run it 10 miles before it's part worn..do you change them after 10 miles?

---------- Post added 07-06-2014 at 00:28 ----------

Why drag up a three year old thread?

Probably as relevant today as 3 yrs ago.

• 1 year later...