Chinese New Year Celebrations

vix2000

A few years ago a group of us went to a chinese new year banquet at top wok (now marble court). We had a great night, traditional chinese dancing, the famous dragon, loads of food and kareoke till late. We decided to do it again this year so I phoned them today to book. They're not doing anything special just ordinary restaurant.

I'm really disappointed so wondered if theres any chinese restauranteurs out there doing anything, or if anyone knows anywhere good to go for the chinese new year.

Thanks.

Well, I'd say the best place to go would be Shanghai or Hong Kong! But perhaps that's unhelpful and impractical :) I'd love to be able to get to a restaurant in Sheffield that had something traditionally Chinese going on. Hoping that something turns up....

Xin nian kuai le!

just ring up and ask whether they have it, and when the actual dragon dance will take place.

Zing Vaa, Wong Ting, and Mei's in town will do it. They normally do most years. The actual new year day this year is on the 18th Feb, which is a Sunday.

There used to be a team which does the dragon dance and it circulates the chinese restaurant in the city centre. (Though, some restaurants further afield now does their own, and have their own dancers.) Just for luck really. All I know is that it's kind of like a blessed thing, for the business, so a lot of restaurants don't mind having this on the actual day as a kind of entertainment anyway. You need to make sure your table is booked for the time that the dragon dances by the restaurant too! It only lasts about 20 minutes or so.

its LION dance, if its 2 people then its lion dance (4 legs) . If it has lots of people then its a dragon (many legs!)

im part of the sheffield lion dance team and so ill let you know which restaurants we'll be visiting this year and when so you dont miss it when you book your table for dinner :)

We do a daytime one through town starting from london road :)

its LION dance, if its 2 people then its lion dance (4 legs) . If it has lots of people then its a dragon (many legs!)

im part of the sheffield lion dance team

I did wonder what the difference was.

I have seen this team many times - very good :thumbsup:

I do some work with Mr Loh at barnsley and have been there when you have done the chinese new year and summer events for BMBC.

Well good.

whats BMBC? Yea we've been to barnsley for the festivals and city/town hall. We did the parade round town in the summer, it was a scorcher!!!

OK the performances to date:

Feburary

Sat 17th - Wong Ting - 9pm

Sun 18th - We will be going around town blessing various chinese restaurants from 11.30am starting on london rd. Candy Town - 8.30pm

Mon 19th - Candy Town - 8.30pm

Will be in Doncaster 22nd and Huddersfield Sat 24th if you like to know where

we will be, let me know :)

whats BMBC?

BARNSLEY METROPOLITAN BORUGH COUNCIL

The people who you did the mayor's parade for.

To all reading this thread. I said before I have seen these guys perform many times and they are that good.

I would recommend booking a table at one of the places they are going.

Chinese new year is great fun and these guys open the show with a bang...................Well lots of bangs as it happens.:D

it was a scorcher!!!-------

wimp. It was cool as it comes but then I had just returned from Malaysia and was wearing a jumper while most were sweating.

Archived