Why are we the only species that kills each other?

So we are saying that other animals take pleasure in killing in the same pathological way The Crossbow Cannibal did for example?. I mean I am aware animals fight territorially and over the opposite sex but can a dog go out and strangle choke say a small female patterdale with its lead, defacate on it then pleasure itself to finish. Are we the only species where pathological killing/sex killing etc takes place because I would imagine we are. Feel free to correct me as I have an opinion but am in no way sure?

There are really quite a lot of exceptions: Dogs, Cats (both domestic and wild varieties of both), so that's at least several dozen species right there. Then you have great apes, and foxes.

In the majority of cases, of course its true, but that's because the majority of animals are not at the top of the food chain.

I didn't say animals killed the same species though.

They all kill other animals - and munch them.

Except those that eat grass :roll:

So we are saying that other animals take pleasure in killing in the same pathological way The Crossbow Cannibal did for example?. I mean I am aware animals fight territorially and over the opposite sex but can a dog go out and strangle choke say a small female patterdale with its lead, defacate on it then pleasure itself to finish. Are we the only species where pathological killing/sex killing etc takes place because I would imagine we are. Feel free to correct me as I have an opinion but am in no way sure?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if similar behaviour turned up in some of our larger brained cousins like chimps and elephants.

There's currently no way to know either way because we know so little about psychology (we still don't even understand ourselves, let alone other species!)

I didn't say animals killed the same species though.

They all kill other animals - and munch them.

Except those that eat grass :roll:

I must have got confused, I read your post as saying this:

"In the majority of cases, humans are the only species that do not eat the ones they kill."

I was just pointing out that there are lots of animals that do not eat the ones they kill. Dogs, cats, tigers, lions, wolves, foxes, chimpanzees, elephants.

I wasn't talking about animals that killed the same species. Cats kill mice and birds and don't eat them, mine does it all the time. Dogs kill small mammals and birds and don't eat them. Foxes kill far more than they eat, elephants sometimes kill humans, and they're herbivores!

what a silly topic title.

the murder rate among lions in Kruger National Park in South Africa is far higher than it is among human beings in Johanesburg, and that's when they're not using guns and knives.

provided somebody isn't an athropomorphic imbecile, one doesn't have to observe just about any kind of animal for very long to see that it has rivals for food and sex and hates their guts.

Why are we the only species that kills each other for NO reason??

All animals kill for a reason (including ourselves - however misguided that reason is).

war just for more teritory.

All animals attack each other for territory (chimps have also been seen to attack and drive out of the troop a single individual - to the point of death).

well, the equivalent of money in animal terms must surely be food - and animals certainly kill each other over food. And territory, which humans also do.
What a ridiculous thing to say.

All animals need food to survive. Survival is instinctive to every animal with humans being no exception.

Money is a commodity to humans not a necessity.

Animals have no natural or instinctive reason to kill each other for a commodity such as money and humans once again are no exception.

Archived