Lack of classy bars in Sheffield

firecracker

Im afraid although there are a handful of establishments in Sheffield that are classy, Sheffield has not enough classy clientelle to fill them. Also we do not attract enough people from out of town. I think on the underground music scene there maybe an improvement this year, as by talking to a lot of people, everybody seems fed up with commercial music scene, that a lot of clubs music policies are doing. SHEFFIELD NEEDS A RADIO STATION THAT TRULY REPRESENTS SHEFFIELDS ELITE CLUBBERS!!!!!

What like the old Fountain? That's not classy!!:confused:

Errr, i doubt you'll be seeing anything like that :loopy:

Apparently the new hotel has an entry in the next edition of worlds best small hotels before it's even finished so the other establishments in the square will have to be of a very high standard.

Im afraid although there are a handful of establishments in Sheffield that are classy, Sheffield has not enough classy clientelle to fill them. Also we do not attract enough people from out of town. I think on the underground music scene there maybe an improvement this year, as by talking to a lot of people, everybody seems fed up with commercial music scene, that a lot of clubs music policies are doing. SHEFFIELD NEEDS A RADIO STATION THAT TRULY REPRESENTS SHEFFIELDS ELITE CLUBBERS!!!!!
absolutely. sheffield used to have a thriving radio scene but its died and the city is worse for it. lets have a station for sheffield from sheffi3eld run by sheffield clubbers

Leeds and Manchester do have alot of very, very nice bars. Sheffield can't really compete. But Sheffield does have Crystal, Ivory, Runaway, Sola, Halycon, 23. I think Living Rooms and Prohibition are done particularly well though. Plus Leeds / Manchester has alot of standalone bars, particularly call lane (sp?) etc The problem is I don't think Sheffield has a market for these kind of bars. Mmm... kind of makes me want to make a trip out to leeds... Leopold Square should also have some decent bars. 10 years ago Sheffield had one bar on Division street and about two on West Street... we're going places...

Today, I was in Leeds, and ventured into Browns, The Living Room, Slug and Lettuce and Prohibition. Why oh why does Sheffield lack elegant places like these where you can have a drink and not see the usual chavs and shaved heads brigade? Places like these also exist in Manchester, Liverpool and Nottingham, so is Sheffield such a dire and backward place that it doesn't deserve places like these?

The thing is, it's a mentality though, isn't it. To a certain degree. I haven't been to the Living Room or the Slug and Lettuce in Leeds (but had been to one in London and further afield). I've been to Browns, but not Prohibition. Slug is another chain. We have something similar on Leopold St, I think it's called "West Bar"(?) I think Wetherspoons are the answer to Slug and Fiddle/Lettuce pubs.

I have to admit that Browns seem like a different type of bar, with its high ceilings and such. Then again, we have something like The Vodka Revolution near the West One complex. It's very rare to get a building with such a high ceiling. Actually, we have Ha-Ha bar come to think of it.

I've been to Ruby Lounge, and it used to have that 'elegant' feeling to it, but it was always always empty. Which is not great is it ? Now it's more popular, and I think there's a band in it sometimes. It changes the whole place. It is more welcoming, and inviting. It's only busy after a certain time.

The new place on West St called West Live (?) The old 80s bar looks amazing. Like from the film set of Cheers. Its decor is very different. Maybe it will be a hit.

I don't know if the OP actually gets out and about in Sheffield or what, but you need to open your eyes and actually go out on a night, and frequent these places at different times. Cos they are not always the same crowd. I sometimes frequent West St and Division St with some old colleagues, and we see the city centre changing all the time. We tend to pub/bar hop.

If you want pure classic wine bars, then go to Menzels on Ecclesall Rd, or visit Nonnas. Which is now bar and restaurant. Then there's Empire Bar as well, which is way out, and had always been a bar. Yet, it's always been quiet though. If anything, I think we're now oversaturated in the city centre with drinking establishments.

Leeds and Manchester do have alot of very, very nice bars. Sheffield can't really compete. But Sheffield does have Crystal, Ivory, Runaway, Sola, Halycon, 23. I think Living Rooms and Prohibition are done particularly well though. Plus Leeds / Manchester has alot of standalone bars, particularly call lane (sp?) etc The problem is I don't think Sheffield has a market for these kind of bars. Mmm... kind of makes me want to make a trip out to leeds... Leopold Square should also have some decent bars. 10 years ago Sheffield had one bar on Division street and about two on West Street... we're going places...

I rememeber when i first started drinking in town (i'm 30 this year so about 12yrs ago), from Henrys (or whatever its called now) there was the Sportsman Pub a car park and Indian Restaurant where the RSVP and Weatherspoons is now, Yates and the Frog and Parrett on Division St and nothing else (in the way of bars). No Cutlers, Weatherspoons, RSVP, Lloyds, Halcyon, Common Room, Bar Coast, Hush Bar (might have been there under another name) or Forum (i don't think so anway). In the last 10yrs Sheffield City Centre has changed beyond recognision and is 100 times better than it used to be.

Archived