Help please - Mopeds / Scooters!

Hi, I'm a student looking at getting either a moped or a scooter. Can someone tell me the differences? and how fast a 50CC one goes compared to a 125CC one. Also any other advice on anything to do with them. What training / licesnses do you have to have? any what ages do you have to be? thanks a lot, Emma

A 50cc scooter can only do about 30mph. I'd recommend a 125cc, though presumably a 50 would be cheaper to insure. If you don't already have it, you'll need to get provisional motorcycle entitlement added to your driving licence (get a form from the post office), and in all cases you'll have to take compulsory basic training before you go on the road. I've seen various scooter shops around that'll sell you a package of vehicle, helmet, CBT and insurance - it's probably worth asking them. As I learnt to ride in Oxford, I can't give any personal recommendations for schools in the Sheffield area, but I'm sure there's somebody on here who can.

IanR

hiya, if you live in a rural area ie, stannington, wadsley, worral, bradfield etc, you can apply on a scheme to rent a scooter for £10 a month. (new cheme though with brand new bikes, which may be a bit more, it hasn't started yet, cos im waiting for a new bike.)

its what i do, to get to college n my work! (very handy with no busses aswell)

ring Jack Dunn on 0114 2859909 he's in charge of the scheme.

Just explain your situation why you think your a good candidate for a scooter, they 50cc bikes.

everything is free, CBT, helmet, gloves, jacket.

Good Luck :)

Hiya does this just apply to students do you know because i'm thinking of getting a scooter bur clearly they are quite expensive.....now renting one for a month or so but be a great idea to see if i would like one long term...

So does anyone know if the offer above is just for students because i am NOT one.

x x x

Originally posted by kitkat

Hiya does this just apply to students do you know because i'm thinking of getting a scooter bur clearly they are quite expensive.....now renting one for a month or so but be a great idea to see if i would like one long term...

So does anyone know if the offer above is just for students because i am NOT one.

x x x

no its not, its for people aged 16-24, for work, college etc purposes.

but you have to be in the Bradfield Parish council areas!

ring and talk to Jack

thanks for your help although i live on Eccy Rd in Sheff i have still left a message in the hope he can help put me in touch with someone else who does a similar kind of thing.

Or if anyone else knows of this let me know...

Cheers

K

x x

I've got a scooter a silver Vespa ET4 125cc and i love it.

I got it from scooter people, but a haggled them down by LOADS!!! saved about £200 in the end.

Cost me about £2000 though overall.

They do have a package that includes everything but you can save on some things.

DON'T buy any extras (chain, alarm) from the scooter people, there extras are extortionate.

There alarms are £250, i got one for £65, they had a massive dead heavy chain on sale for £130, and i got it off the net for £50, inc. del. exactly the same one. I would reccomend investing in a good chain to chain it up, as theft is the biggest problem.

I took my CBT before buying a scooter as i wasn't sure if i wanted one and had never riden one before. I took it at a place behind morrisons car park at ecclsfield, (forgot name) but they was very nice.

I would recomend a 125cc as the 50cc's are limited to 30mph and you really can't keep up with the traffic at 30 mph, and i pity the guys on a 50cc when i fly past them. hehe!

Wonderfull in the summer, cold and wet in winter, and hell in the snow, (leave it at home in ice).

VERY cheap to run aswel, tax for the year is £15, yes that's a one and a five, £15!!

No parking fees ever again.

A full tank of petrol is about £6 and will last me about 3 weeks.

Which is about 150 miles on 6 quid!!!!!

You've always got the option of wizzing past trafic jams aswel. I now get to work in the same time wether there's traffic or not which is great.

Bottom line......

If you don't need to carry heavy items to work or give people lifts and stuff, then get one.

I laught at people who have to first wait for a bus, then sit in ques on the crowded bus (when the buses are running!) who are paying £10 a week for a bus pass, when i never que in trafic, never pay parking fees, and get 3 weeks travel for the less price than their 1 week.

Any questions just ask! :D

Archived