Help please - Mopeds / Scooters!

Question for oasismark about your vespa

Do you take yours on the motorway at all or is it best to stick to A roads?

Really want a vespa, passed my motorbike theory yesterday and wanting to do my CBT ASAP! Obviously not able to go on the motorways with a CBT, but eventually will get full license.

:)

No i don't go on the motorway as i only have a CBT and it's not allowed.

I only use it for commuting, (from high green to Uni, striaght down Penistone road)

Love it for that, NO WAY could i sit in traffic like most people do. One day i'm gonna try and count how many cars i pass, must be 100's.

Once i get to work i often think, "where would i be stuck now if i was in a car?", which brings a smile to me face.

• 8 months later...

Hi Esme,

I have just bought a T reg 2 stroke Pantheon 125, do you have to add oil to the petrol??

cheers,

Martin

I've got a Honda Pantheon 125, one of the last with the two stroke engines and I love it to bits

it's quite happy doing almost motorway speeds for extended periods, I used to commute to Cambridge on it

if you are getting a scoot I would recommend that you get one with at least a 100cc engine as anything smaller won't have the accelleration to get you out of trouble when you need it, like when you are halfway across a T junction and the guy in the car decides to pull out because he's misjudged your speed and if you don't hit the throttle he'll take your rear wheel off

that`s great, thanks for your help, I think they changed to 4 stroke around 2002??

it should have a seperate 2 stroke oil tank what you fill and the engine will have a pump that will mix the oil and petrol for it

this is what happened on most 2 stroke engined bikes but this is what i learned many years ago

I have had various bikes over the years, from 50 cc mopeds up to 125 cc scooters. I loved them (except in the winter when my bum froze and the summer, when I drove into town on a hot day, parked up and had to disrobe before I fried!) and they were all economical. Back in those days, I could ride forever on an L plate. I am not sure what I can ride now with both a full and an automatic car licence - probably a 50 cc. Some day, I will probably have another.

There are not so many two stroke bikes any longer because their emmissions are poor compared to four stroke and all the manufacturers are phasing them out.

Even if you do have a two stroke bike it will have a 2 stroke oil tank somewhere, and the carburetta will automatically mix the oil into the fuel, the oil last for months and months! .

Many years ago we had to put a couple of caps of 2 stroke oil into every tank full of 2 star petrol, or the piston would be in danger of a sieze. But realstically, those bikes were built in the 1970s or before and unless you have a vintage bike it shouldn't be an issue.

:thumbsup:

I have had various bikes over the years, from 50 cc mopeds up to 125 cc scooters. I loved them (except in the winter when my bum froze and the summer, when I drove into town on a hot day, parked up and had to disrobe before I fried!) and they were all economical. Back in those days, I could ride forever on an L plate. I am not sure what I can ride now with both a full and an automatic car licence - probably a 50 cc. Some day, I will probably have another.

It is possible that you have a full moped licence, which they used to give free with a car test pass, but I am not even sure if it that stil counts.

However if you want to ride a motorcycle, you cannot even go onto the road unless you first pass an off road test called CBT which replaced the old part 1.

When you pass that simple test you have only 2 years to pass one of the full motorcycle tests, or you have st take it all over again.

Hi Esme,

I have just bought a T reg 2 stroke Pantheon 125, do you have to add oil to the petrol??

cheers,

Martin

nope there's a seperate reservoir under the seat as well as enough luggage space to cater for about half a trolley's worth of shopping

it's a nice bike, look after it and it'll look after you mines never failed on me yet, mines a W reg ;)

just did a search and all i could find about the Pantheon 125 is that it was a four stroke engine
they stopped doing the 2 stroke about 2 years back ... damn shame imo the 4 stroke is nice but sluggish in comparison and they remodelled the chassis so it doesn't look so good

It is possible that you have a full moped licence, which they used to give free with a car test pass, but I am not even sure if it that stil counts.

However if you want to ride a motorcycle, you cannot even go onto the road unless you first pass an off road test called CBT which replaced the old part 1.

When you pass that simple test you have only 2 years to pass one of the full motorcycle tests, or you have st take it all over again.

last I heard you could still ride a 50cc with L plates on a car license but I think thats changing if it hasn't already, and you didn't need to do a CBT either which as far as I'm concerned is mental and damn well should be changed if it hasn't already

Archived