Help please - Mopeds / Scooters!

last I heard you could still ride a 50cc with L plates on a car license but I think thats changing if it hasn't already, and you didn't need to do a CBT either which as far as I'm concerned is mental and damn well should be changed if it hasn't already

Depends when you passed your car test. If you got your license before 1st Feb 2001, you can ride a 50cc (restricted to 30mph) without L plates or the need for a CBT. If you passed it after that, or want to ride a 125 (under 14bhp), you still need a CBT and will have to display L plates. More info here

no L plates or CBT ! :o

well if you have a deathwish I suppose but there are cheaper ways to commit suicide :loopy:

My thoughts exactly. I regularly see a bloke riding a zip 50 up City Rd. No L plates, obviously not got a full bike license, or he wouldnt be riding so close to the kerb hes practically on the pavement. Only explanation is hes passed his car test some years ago, bought a scoot as a form of cheap transport, and is now riding it with no training on it whatsoever, and thinks hes still on a pushbike.

• 6 months later...
Sending off for my provisonal tomorrow, hoping to take my CBT in october :D

Can anyone tell me the total cost of their bikes, insurace, CBT ect?

I paid 90 quid for my CBT, then 1300 for a 54 plate Yamaha Cygnus 125 scooter. Tax is 15 quid a year, and my insurance costs me 16 quid a month fully comp (thats at 33 years old, on a provisional licence and CBT, no car licence, and zero no claims bonus). Fuel wise I ride from Manor Top to Wincobank 5 days a week, sometimes 6, and fill the tank every 2 weeks or so, costs on average a fiver per top up.

Dont forget the cost of your safety equipment as well-it all mounts up. A decent helmet, armoured jacket and gloves will cost you a couple of hundred quid.

Archived