The Sheffield Pub - Shiny Sheff

chowchow

I think this is a problem all over. Since the pub companies came along they charge ridiculous rents and increase them when they see someone making an extra effort to earn some money. Maybe they are in partnership with the government and have a 50/50 share in some sort of stealth tax.

I actually know the previous landlord and landlady of the Shiny Sheff prior to the most recent owner and they basically had to call it a day as the increases in rent were more and more pressure on daily life which ends up having to pass either expensive prices onto the customer or cost cutting which then ends up in poor customer service and standards.

There are so many pubs now with leaseing boards outside which goes to show that noone is interested in taking them on only to be fleeced by the pub companies. Perhaps the breweries should buy them all back like the good old days and have them as managed houses???

Well I certainly went there a few times, and know of others in the area who enjoyed the music nights!

I'm not old or young, live in the area and enjoy a good pint of real ale, preferably without the smoke.

Rising sun is still very popular - it has been taken over by abbeydale brewery, and I've only been since.

Ranmoor - also busy of an evening.

Three merry lads could survive on it's weekend trade most likely

Sadly it seems people in that area just don't go to the pub. Makes you wonder about the future of the Sportsman and the Three Merry Lads.....

The Sportsman remains popular and always will be popular as long as they keep doing good beer, honest well priced decent food, and the friendly landlord & landlady stick around.

The three merry lads is another matter.. I found potato powder lumps within my mash- not a good sign of quality or value.

This is such a shame.

I know John worked really hard to try and make a success of the place but I'm also well aware that he upset a lot of people (locals who had frequented the place for ages. One such, an old fella who wore a baseball cap. He was barred because he wouldn't remove it. A lot of the younger end moved on also).

I also applauded his move to make the Sheff a no-smoking establishment but it was apparent to me that people were voting with their feet. He smartened the place up, at one point the food was outstanding (despite the cost) and the pub was a pleasure to visit.

However, I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't agree with the renaming. The Shiny Sheff always was and will be just that, not The Sheffield. So it lost its identity in more ways than one....,

This pub has huge potential. It needs to be run by a young family full of ideas. It needs to attract and embrace the many families that are in the region, families with a sizeable disposable income who fancy eating out with their children.

Personally, I'd make the tap-room into just that. A games room showing sports. (If that means bringing the pool table and jukebox back then so be it. Drinks promotions aimed at the younger end of the market. Get the youngsters back in and chances are they'll stay there.) Make the rest of the pub family-orientated.

These are my ideas but I'm only used to sitting this side of the bar (so what do I know?). I hope the Sheff reverts back to its former glory. I feel very sorry for John and his wonderful staff.

I'm only glad it's happened during my 'dry month'!

Some good ideas there....

& there's a massive estate just next to it- which it has never really tapped into (in recent years anyway).

For me, the removal of the pool table signalled a demise. I'd hate to see it be permanently closed down, as it's always been there in my lifetime and is one of the very few places for social contact in Lodge Moor.

• 3 weeks later...

The Shiny Sheff (or, if must, The Sheffield) should re-open today, Thursday 8th February and I for one am looking forward to it.

Don't take any of what I say for gospel but I am led to believe that:-

a) the pool table will be making a comeback; &

b) the Thursday night karaoke will also make a return.

Good luck to the new manager(s) and/or tenant(s).

Supposed to be opening today - Thursday 8th February.

As I've mentioned in the Going Out section, they're planning on putting the pool table back in and bringing back Thurday night karaoke.

Despite my opening sentence, when I went past at 12.35 it still wasn't open but it is imminent.

Archived