Names of Sheffield roads/parishes many years ago

aurora5772

Hi folks. I am trying to do a kind of genealogy exercise, only finding out the history of my mum's house. We think it is quite old - her actual street and house number is on the 1901, 1891 and 1881 censuses. I have a subscription to ancestry.co.uk, so looking up census data per se isn't a problem. The difficulty I have is 1871 and backwards. I have access to the censuses, but can't find my mum's address. Now, her current house number is over 100, so I'm thinking, as I go back in time, some of those houses won't exist, and her house if it exists earlier, won't have the same house number. Her parish name, district and even county also varies - it is Brincliffe now, but has been Ecclesall Bierlow, and this has variously been in Yorkshire and Derbyshire. Does anyone know a quick way of tracing a particular property backwards through the censuses in this way? Btw, I'm happy to try lookups for folks who don't have subscriptions, as long as I'm not inundated with requests!!!

the local History Library, in Sheffield's central library has shedloads of old maps, many going back at least a couple of hundred years, in certain areas of sheffield. it might be worth a try there. you can use these maps to determine roughly when properties were demolished or built. the staff are very helpful, even with vague enquiries, they can give you ideas that can set you off looking in a particular direction to get the info you need.

Hi.

You need a trip to the West Riding Archives in Wakefield.

The West Riding Registry of Deeds was established by Act of Parliament, and began registration in September 1704. The Registry was one of only five in England.

Between 1704 and 1914, some one and a half million deeds were registered. The growth of owner occupation led to an even greater rate of registration, adding several million more deeds in the sixty years before the closure of the Registry in 1970. You can download a Registry of deeds information leaflet.(PDF)

http://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/index.asp?pg=rodab.html

Kind Regards

Tuppie

The area known as 'Brincliffe' remained mostly rural until the 1870s, and many of the streets we now know weren't laid out by the developers until that time.

If the house existed in 1870 it was unlikely to have had a house number but would be known by a name at a place. For example 'Ivy Cottage at Cherry Tree Hill'. Although this was properly in Sharrow. The census enumerator may not have noted the house name and merely entered Cherry Tree Hill as the place of residence. :(

Some of the roads in the area are ancient...Brincliffe Edge road and Psalter lane for example, but most of the roads between them are part of the suburban development.

What was the name of the street in 1901 ? Don't need to know the number, so you'll be giving nothing away.

Both the Local Studies Library, and Sheffield Archives have street indexes for all the published censuses. From these you can find the census folios which contain addresses in that street, if it existed.

Another resource is the ratebooks in Sheffield Archives. These should list the owner and occupier of each property, and other information about the value of the house and whether the rates had bee paid! They take a bit of getting used to as they are listed according to the route of the collector. Also, in the earlier 19th century, just as in the early censuses, they are not too careful at noting individual house numbers.

Another way of finding instances of a particular address is to search the transcribed burial registers since the address at time of death is usually recorded.

Again, if you want to pm me the address I can check the resources I have.

Hugh

Archived