Lithium. Can anyone give me any info?

My doctor has recomended that I start taking Lithium for my Bipolar disorder. I've only heard the horror stories of how it turns you into a zombie before now and wondered if anybody had any experience with the drug.

I am getting some information sent through to me by my doctor about it, but I feel that any first hand knowledge might help me to make a more informed decision.

My doctor has recomended that I start taking Lithium for my Bipolar disorder. I've only heard the horror stories of how it turns you into a zombie before now and wondered if anybody had any experience with the drug.

I am getting some information sent through to me by my doctor about it, but I feel that any first hand knowledge might help me to make a more informed decision.

Have you ever had anything for your bipolar disorder before?

Personally I have refused to take it, because I've seen the negative effects it has on people. For some it works, but some of the people I've seen...the word zombie is far from an exaggeration.

I have bipolar (I) disorder, allegedly, recently diagnosed formally. I've been given a course of olanzapine initially, my alcohol habit makes it impossible for the docs to give me a more comprehensive course of meds. The main thing is, you have the right to accept or refuse any course of treatment you are offered. Lithium Hydroxide (or equivalents) no doubt help with the symptoms of mania, but it's a question of whether you think the benefits outweigh the potential risks.

It'll likely not do you any physical harm, anyway.

Olanzapine isn't working thats why they've recomended Lithium
It doesn't do much for me either, tbh, I only asked because it's a much less harsh drug than Lithium, and the obvious starting point.

Thing is, you should be wary of any other advice you get on here, from me included. I don't know you, I don't know any of your history, and I certainly have no detailed info on your personal condition. There are essentially two questions you need to ask yourself, though.

Do you feel you need it?

And do you trust your doctor?

Some people have found lithium to be a life saver and maintained good levels of functioning.
My old boss's ex colleague was one of these people, apparently. She said it was a lifesaver for him.

Lithium can pay off, or not. It's a risk. The best thing to do is have a straight conversation with your doctor about it. If you're that worried, then there are literally tonnes of drugs available to treat bipolar. You should be offered alternatives.

Regular blood tests are required also if you're on Lithium as too low/high levels in the body can cause significant problems. Another point to consider as Gypsy Hack is right - there are plenty of alternatives available. It may take some time to find the correct medication and dosage for you.

Regular blood tests are required also if you're on Lithium as too low/high levels in the body can cause significant problems. Another point to consider as Gypsy Hack is right - there are plenty of alternatives available. It may take some time to find the correct medication and dosage for you.

I know I've been given the talk about the blood tests today.

I wonder why I havent been offered any other alternative treatments if there are so many out there, I may have to have another chat with my consultant.

Archived