Lithium. Can anyone give me any info?

H, someone I used to work with was on Lithium and my Gran's partner has been on it for many years. The girl I'd never seen without it, but she was articulate and quietly spoken but never would I accuse her of being a zombie, she was bright as a button.

My nan's partner - if he doesn't take it he becomes hyper - he can't sleep at all, he starts to ramble and to imagine very weird and not at all wonderful things. It's been described as, if someone said 'boo' to me, i would jump but then would 'get over it' and come back down to normal heart rate. Without medication he doesn't - he stays up there and each little 'shock' takes him higher. The lithium enables him to come back down again to normal levels. Having seen him both ways, the non lithium version doesn't work.

My doctor has recomended that I start taking Lithium for my Bipolar disorder. I've only heard the horror stories of how it turns you into a zombie before now and wondered if anybody had any experience with the drug.

I am getting some information sent through to me by my doctor about it, but I feel that any first hand knowledge might help me to make a more informed decision.

Naturally without you going into too much personal detail, I would be interested to know how your 'bipolar disorder' manifests itself.

Wow I'd forgotten about this thread.

I ended up taking a drug called Semi Sodium Valproate. It's traditionally prescribed for Epilepsy, but has worked wonders with Bi Polar sufferers aswell.

It's been working wonders for me and although it hasn't taken the symptoms away it has quietened them down to an extent where most of the time I can function almost normally.

I still have to have the occasional blood test with them as they are poisonous, but they aren't as dulling as lithium can be.

Naturally without you going into too much personal detail, I would be interested to know how your 'bipolar disorder' manifests itself.

Scarily:hihi::hihi:

I wrote a brief description of both the depresssion and the mania on a thread about depression not long ago, I'll pootle off and find links.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=3832546&postcount=21

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=3833559&postcount=128

Scarily:hihi::hihi:

I wrote a brief description of both the depresssion and the mania on a thread about depression not long ago, I'll pootle off and find links.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=3832546&postcount=21

Ouch. That makes for grim reading. Was good to see you so well at the last meet, bearing in mind that's a state you've been in.

Ouch. That makes for grim reading. Was good to see you so well at the last meet, bearing in mind that's a state you've been in.

I'm rapid cycling at the moment, something that's not happened to me in years.

One day I'm up, the next I'm down.

It's lucky I don't go quite as up as I did before:hihi:

However the valproate doesn't do much for the depression.

I'm rapid cycling at the moment, something that's not happened to me in years.

One day I'm up, the next I'm down.

It's lucky I don't go quite as up as I did before:hihi:

However the valproate doesn't do much for the depression.

It's been well reported that valproate isn't as effective at treating depression as it is as treating mania (I think the same is true of lithium but could be wrong) so perhaps you need an adjunct antidepressent to go alongside it?

It's been well reported that valproate isn't as effective at treating depression as it is as treating mania (I think the same is true of lithium but could be wrong) so perhaps you need an adjunct antidepressent to go alongside it?

Yeah, I'm discussing Citalopram with my consultant again. It's a bit gutting as I've been up for over a year. I know the down is inevitable, but it's nice to forget about it when your living with the sky pixies:hihi:

Yeah, I'm discussing Citalopram with my consultant again. It's a bit gutting as I've been up for over a year. I know the down is inevitable, but it's nice to forget about it when your living with the sky pixies:hihi:

Try self medication with chocolate - it works for me ;)

Archived