Lithium. Can anyone give me any info?

Try self medication with chocolate - it works for me ;)

I'm still trying to shift the last of the Olanzapine lard off my backside, I don't see chocolate helping with that, but if it's prescribed by an evil Dr then I ought to try.:hihi::hihi:

My experiments with self medication using red wine have had some interesting results. None of them you could call good, but definitely interesting.

There has been research in lots of different areas of medicine which shows that a low to medium dose of 2 or 3 drugs are more effective and cause less side effects than a higher dose of one drug.

If you've got the ups reduced with one drug then maybe looking at something else to deal with the downs is a good thing.

There has been research in lots of different areas of medicine which shows that a low to medium dose of 2 or 3 drugs are more effective and cause less side effects than a higher dose of one drug.

If you've got the ups reduced with one drug then maybe looking at something else to deal with the downs is a good thing.

I was on a combination of Olanzapine and Citalopram when I started this thread. I'm quite used to a combination of drugs, it's the rattling when I walk that is the problem:hihi:

The only real worry I have about combining medications again is the fact that life almost stops, I sleep for up to 18 hours a day and the benefits of feeling more 'normal' are lost by the fact I don't have time to live.

It's the same story for many people with mood stabilising medications and it's a matter of weighing up the pro's and cons.

The extent of my moods does tend to mean I have a high dose of both drugs.

I understand about the sedation and losing of time to live- I'm on 4 sets of painkillers long term, 3 of which are seriously sedative.

The only thing you can do is to choose between the sedation and the original problem. I'm lucky enough that this choice is easy for me- the issue to me of sleeping a lot is very minor compared to the constant agony.

That said, I choose to be pain-reduced rather than pain-free, because I've found that I can function much better with a little pain and less sedation than I can when I have no pain but sleep 15 hours a day and never quite coming round between naps.

• 2 years later...

Draaaaaaagging this thread from the depths of hell.

My quack put me on sodium valproate yesterday- according to her I have something called "Cyclothymia " and Im taking those alongside Citalopram.

She`s surprised that a bloke of my age managed to go through life for so long without being diagnosed earlier and I`d say it was the David Cameron email that I sent a few months ago, that he read out at the tory party conference (My Facebook victims will know what I mean) that finally convinced me that I had a slate or two missing from the roof so I sought assistance before I was locked up or something.

I just hope these Valproate things dont stifle the wonder that is me, the citalopram certainly have!

I took sodium valproate for a few years when the medics were trying to get my pain levels controlled and they did what they were supposed to do very well, but I ended up coming off them when they gave me one of their most common side effects, which is fluid retention in the lower legs and feet (oedema). Very bizarrely I only got it in one leg though, which meant repeated investigation for DVT and assorted other circulation problems that could be underlying it all (there was none) and it resolved within 2 weeks of changing to carbamazepine.

Isn't it amazing that these drugs work in so many different ways? Preventing seizures, treating neurogenic pain, helping mood disorders etc :)

Archived