Anyone know the history of Broadfield Road?

I apparently lived there from 18 months to age 4, but my Auntie continued to live there for another few years - say to 1970 ?

She lived on the same side as the Express Dairy about 200 yards going towards Heeley Bottom. They were nice biggish houses with decent gardens. I remember there was a lad about 3 houses down from us who had what is now called Downs Syndrome, but was then called Mongolism. I think that he died young.

Apparently when I was about 1 year old I had an accident with some bricks and the next door neighbour who stitched my hand up was the Trainer for Sheffield United juniors, I still have a big scar.

There used to be, and might still be, a cut through hilly walkway to Abbeydale Road called, I think, Primrose Hill. It came out where the drinks shop used to be near Abbeydale Pictue Palace.

They knocked many of the houses down to build an effing road that never materialised.

Hi,

I Remember Heeley Baths well. I learnt to swim there and took all my life saving exams when I was at Nether Edge Grammar. It stood me in good stead when I was in Cyprus with the RAF as beach life guard got me out of more onerous duties.

Mike

I There used to be, and might still be, a cut through hilly walkway to Abbeydale Road called, I think, Primrose Hill. It came out where the drinks shop used to be near Abbeydale Pictue Palace.

They knocked many of the houses down to build an effing road that never materialised.

we used to trek on that walkway on our way to- and-from the baths..back in the 70's... ahhhh happy days!

the demolitions were for a ring road, a shedload of housing on queens road, and around heeley (prospect road,richards road, myrtle road, guernsey rd etc) were also clearred in the 1970s for this "ghost-road".

Still.. we benefitted from the marvellous heeley city farm as a result.

we used to trek on that walkway on our way to- and-from the baths..back in the 70's... ahhhh happy days!

the demolitions were for a ring road, a shedload of housing on queens road, and around heeley (prospect road,richards road, myrtle road, guernsey rd etc) were also clearred in the 1970s for this "ghost-road".

Still.. we benefitted from the marvellous heeley city farm as a result.

They did a '' double tap '' on me, we moved to Queens Road near Havelock Bridge, and that later got bounced for the same '' ghost road ''. (and I did mean tap, not top).

Any one know anything about the history of broadfield road, what used to be there in regards to buildings or was it just greenland before.

Much of the land was parkland belonging to a house called Broadfield owned by a Sheffield banker by the name of Samuel Shore. His bank went bust and eventually the land was sold off in lots for building.

It would have been idyllic countryside then...in fact there was a footpath called 'Primrose Walk' that followed the riverbank from Heeley Bridge to somewhere on Abbeydale road. Hard to imagine now :(

A piccy here of Broadfield Toll Bar which I think was close to the bottom of Sheldon road.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s16160

I wonder if anyone remembers the corner shop that was on Broadfield road where it met Saxon road? when the shop was closed we would knock on the back door and buy stuff when we were kids.

big double fronted off licence that covered all the corner, I remember that.

Further up Broadfield on the corner of Clyde Rd was Hartleys , and just the other side of Clyde Rd was a dark little house widow shop that sold sweets , then a chippy.Across the road at the bottom of the gennel was Ayres sweet shop, later bought by the Tworek family (Polish ).

I used to live on Markham Terrace with my gran, and she worked at Styans bakery where the alumimium place is.

regards Mick

Archived