Anyone know the history of Broadfield Road?

Tamplin road is where my great grandmother Mary Ann Blenkinsop was living with a family called Coates in 1890 when she got married.

She was from Barnard Castle.

Does anyone know when Tamplin road was built or any of the history of its residents in the late 1880s or early1890s ?

Let's not get the rivers mixed up here. The river running from Totley down Abbeydale then Broadfired Road was the Sheaf. It probably meets up with the Meersbrook, which runs down Chesterfield road, somewhere down Heeley bottom. I would imagine they then meet up with the River Porter which runs down Ecclesall Road.

Well that took care of three of the six rivers :-)

Let's not get the rivers mixed up here. The river running from Totley down Abbeydale then Broadfired Road was the Sheaf. It probably meets up with the Meersbrook, which runs down Chesterfield road, somewhere down Heeley bottom. I would imagine they then meet up with the River Porter which runs down Ecclesall Road.

Well that took care of three of the six rivers :-)

The Meers brook joins the sheaf somewhere near the Lidl, near Heeley Bottom I believe.

The Porter joins the Sheaf near the Railway Station behind where sheaf house used to be, opposite the old Norfolk Arms (now the Censored bar) (It's culverted a lot of the way between Waitrose, along St Mary's Gate and round the back of Radio Sheffield.)

alw, I have a heeley baths story...

Thirty-odd years ago, when I was 10, (4th year Juniors) I dived into the baths, and managed to strke my head on the tiles on the bottom of the pool, knocking myself out. I still have the "cob" on my forehead, after all this time.

Typical, showing off as usual by attempting to get the life guard to give you the kiss of life. :hihi:

Typical, showing off as usual by attempting to get the life guard to give you the kiss of life. :hihi:

ooh, gie'owwer. :lol: the lifeguard must have been all of forty to my ten ! It was bad enough being carted off to the hozzy for a checkup!

I lived on Aizlewood Road on the corner of Sellars Street. The gennel down to Broadfield Road around the back of the dairy ran from Abbeydale Road where the off licence used to be through to Hale Street and then down the slope to Broadfield Road, with advertising hoardings on the left hand side of the bottom section it was a great place for kids to play and build dens.

The opposite side of the gennel went down over the wall and steep grassy bank into the back of the dairy which again was a great place to play as a kid and in places the depth of width of the wall was so thick that bricks could be taken out and you could build another den inside the wall.

Is the river past the old baths and dairy still brick bottomed and stepped ?

I remember that hot summer of 1976 paddling and splashing about riding my old Raleigh Budgie through the river and then going up onto Abbeydale Road to pop the tar bubbles.

Good times.:)

"pop the tar bubbles."

What pleasures we had as kids, we used to do this when we were kids in the 50's and our own children did the same things in th 70's as you obviously did darylslinn.

We played with blades of grass making them into spears and darts, daisy chain making (for the girls, lads wouldn't been seen dead doing that!), building go-karts (girls weren't allowed to do that!).

All these things our parents did, we did and so did our own kids a generation later but, somehow it's all gone adrift in this last 20 years, so sad.

Archived