Anyone know the history of Broadfield Road?

I think the Newsagents Shop on the corner of Broadfield & Abbeydale road was Chadwicks,on the oposite corner was a Cobblers,just down from there was Dixons Chip Shop,across the road was a Photographers Shop owned by Mr Marsh.A couple of names I remember were the Guite Family & the Congreaves,do you remember Tyzacs Dam ?.Mind you I am going back to the late 1940s,early 50s.

I remember Broadfield Road from about 1950 onwards but, sorry, never lived on the road and can't provide any details.

However, one thing stands out when people talk about how Broadfield Road

[ and similar places ] used to be.....and that is the wealth of characters and trades, shops and businesses there were in such a small area. As late as the mid-1960's, the area, roughly from William Street [ off Ecclesall Rd.] to about Carver Street was still like that :- little corner shops and pubs, tiny workshops tucked away up little alleys, smallish schools, various churches ......and loads of people milling around ; there was always something odd, dramatic, funny or interesting happening. It wasn't all that far removed from Dickens.

Sheffield was full of such areas. The ' Heeley' thread is a good example. How it's all changed ! I realise that things DO have to change but was it not possible to replace old interesting areas with new interesting areas instead of car show-rooms, soul-less shop fronts and concrete monstrosities ?

Anyway, Broadfield Roaders, keep it rolling ! At least we can talk about the past even if we've lost it !

Like to also mention there was a petrol station on Broadfield road near to heeley bottom. As school kids we would catch the number 8 or 9 circular bus for 2 pence there and stay on the bus hours instead of attending school :)

big double fronted off licence that covered all the corner, I remember that.

Further up Broadfield on the corner of Clyde Rd was Hartleys , and just the other side of Clyde Rd was a dark little house widow shop that sold sweets , then a chippy.Across the road at the bottom of the gennel was Ayres sweet shop, later bought by the Tworek family (Polish ).

I used to live on Markham Terrace with my gran, and she worked at Styans bakery where the alumimium place is.

regards Mick

i worked at styans bakery as a van driver in 1960 i got the sack for hitting another van in the depot.we live & learn

PT you mention all the houses which were demolished opposite the Sheldon road Junction. I suspect this big square area was cleared of buildings to provide space for a large traffic roundabout. Which is why some adjacent buildings were left. Especially the small row of houses at the back of the Seat garage.

I think the same thing, muddy. There was going to be a roundabout there. The only reason those four houses are still there is that (iirc) they refused to take the council's valuation on the compulsory purchase and then the council changed their minds about the roundabout, and the new road that was supposed to bypass Heeley Botton. So the house were just left there.

Plain Talker mentioned the Fine Fare on Heeley Bottom, It opened as a supermarket in the early 60's, Sammy Brookbond the chimp opened it, he cut the ribbon, and got hold of my hand to take me in the shop before anyone else, only being about three years old and never seen a chimp before I screamed and scared the poor animal to death.

My mum lived on bedale rd (runs between abbeydale road and broadfield rd) during the war. She told me that during the blitz a Jam factory in the area got hit and they had hot jam running into the cellars. Don't know if anyone can confirm?

Archived