Anyone know the history of Broadfield Road?

i worked at styans bakery as a van driver in 1960 i got the sack for hitting another van in the depot.we live & learn

You might have know her , name of Doris Wilson , worked there for donkeys years.

regards Mick

I spent some of my childhood in Heeley and went to Lowfields School. In the top juniors, we used to go to Heeley Baths and then afterwards, if we'd been good, we used to go to the Sasparilla (sp?) shop or Temperance Bar on Abbeydale Rd on the way back to school. The prices for a "half" started at 1/2d, I think, and we all pretended we were in a pub. Ah, innocent days. I think the shop is an antique shop now-surprise, surprise!:|

Whatever happened to Sasparilla? I loved it.

• 2 months later...

When we attended Carfield Junior School in the 1950's we were marched two by two to Heeley Baths on Broadfield Road to learn to swim. I believed one of the instructors (more like Gestapo) was a Mr.Wall who terrified me. Hitting someone under the chin with a thundering great long pole whilst they are trying to learn to swim the breast stroke does not inspire the pupil with confidence!

We used to walk through a steel firm which had a pathway through to allow you to reach Broadfield Road.

After we'd finished our swimming lesson we were marched back up to Carfield via Little London Road passed the sweet shop on the corner where we were allowed to go in two at a time to buy a "traffic light lolly" what joy!

Duffems

We used to walk through a steel firm which had a pathway through to allow you to reach Broadfield Road.

I remember that pathway well - over the footbridge and into a dark tunnel through the works. My grandfather worked at Little London works and they used to have an annual Christmas party in the works canteen for the employees' kids and grandkids.

First one I went to was 1945 or 1946 and I remember that tunnel really spooked me !

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I am on the hunt for some interesting stories about past experiences at Heeley Baths. I am working on the re-opening which takes place in January and would love to hear about anyone who met the love of their life there, learnt to swim, maybe you or a family member went with their school for lessons?

Does anyone have any photos of Heeley Baths too?

Thanks

:)

alw, I have a heeley baths story...

Thirty-odd years ago, when I was 10, (4th year Juniors) I dived into the baths, and managed to strke my head on the tiles on the bottom of the pool, knocking myself out. I still have the "cob" on my forehead, after all this time.

Just seen your comments about Barlow's ghost....... To my knowledge it didn't appear in the ASL works, but it was seen in the basement of the old Figidaire building in London Rd., which has formed Barlow's office entrance since around 30 years ago. The drawings of old shopfitting schemes were filed away there, and one of the junior designers asked who the old man was he'd seen when he was sent down in the basement to search the records. Honest! I never dare go down and always sent someone else! Certainly not GB, the building wasn't used in his day.

• 2 months later...

I remember Dixons sweet factory because we used to throw snowballs at the neon signto stop it working.The corner shop at Broadfield and Abbeydale was owned by Tom Sabin then his nephew. I lived in the same back yard two doors away from Marshes Photo shop opposite Gwyneths wool shop below the cobblers.I also remember the congreaves and the warburtons on Tamplin road

I remember Dixons sweet factory because we used to throw snowballs at the neon signto stop it working.The corner shop at Broadfield and Abbeydale was owned by Tom Sabin then his nephew. I lived in the same back yard two doors away from Marshes Photo shop opposite Gwyneths wool shop below the cobblers.I also remember the congreaves and the warburtons on Tamplin road

I used to go to school with Maureen Congreaves.Do you remember the Guite family,went to school with ian.Do you also remember Dixons Chip Shop,across the road from you & Walkers Chippie just round the corner on Abbeydale Road.

Archived