Anyone know the history of Broadfield Road?

My father had one of the garages at the back with the sheaf behind them.Did you ever get across the river to the tunnel that went in to the works.It was on the bend of the river next to the alleyway that went to London road.The deep end as I now remember.

Sputnik boy

Unfortunately TAMPLIN ROAD Sabins etc was demolished many years ago.My mother used to work for Tom Sabin

in the papershop.We lived in the same backyard as the papershop and Marshes photgraphicThe picture of the shop and the road is PIC 192 on the sheffield tram archive website .Like yourself I have not lived there for many years.On google earth you can see how much is now missing of that area,including the old walkway acros from the wooden bridge.

My father had one of the garages at the back with the sheaf behind them.Did you ever get across the river to the tunnel that went in to the works.It was on the bend of the river next to the alleyway that went to London road.The deep end as I now remember.

me and my brothers lived in the river to be honest. what else was there to do. to get to the tunnel we had to go over the footbridge opposite the baths and edge along a sloping thin ledge.

the tunnel comes up a drain in the steelworks yard. we used to call it the deepend but it was only 3 feet deep my brother found out when he was pushed in. only names i can remember from mid-late 60s are..... howard price.....philip teather .....david wheeler..

happy days

We also used to play in the river at the bottom of Kent Road (long before it was piped underground or whatever they did with it). It was the only entertainment for us when we'd run out of all the street games especially when they'd been a heavy rain storm. Nothing beats wading along in yer wellows and slipping on the cobbles/debris and trying not to get wet otherwise your mother knew where you'd been.

I remember a neighbour's kid once falling in and his mum put his shoes in the oven to dry, needless to say they came out 3 sizes too small!

Sorry, nothing to do with Broadfield Road just that the river memory came to me.

I recall once seeing a photo of lots of people standing at their back doors on Broadfield Road, there had been a flood and the river had taken all the back yards/gardens etc., I can't remember the year but, I know it was written on the back of this photo.

Any ideas anyone?

We also used to play in the river at the bottom of Kent Road (long before it was piped underground or whatever they did with it). It was the only entertainment for us when we'd run out of all the street games especially when they'd been a heavy rain storm. Nothing beats wading along in yer wellows and slipping on the cobbles/debris and trying not to get wet otherwise your mother knew where you'd been.

I remember a neighbour's kid once falling in and his mum put his shoes in the oven to dry, needless to say they came out 3 sizes too small!

Sorry, nothing to do with Broadfield Road just that the river memory came to me.

I recall once seeing a photo of lots of people standing at their back doors on Broadfield Road, there had been a flood and the river had taken all the back yards/gardens etc., I can't remember the year but, I know it was written on the back of this photo.

Any ideas anyone?

there was a great flood around 1968 i believe when 2 foot of snow melted in two hours and the river came up to the bottom of your dads garages and when it subsided we counted the bricks up to the tidemark (opposite the tunnel) and my dad calculated 22 feet high. that is the only flood i can remember. i would say i was around 10 years old at the time.our cellar was full of water which came down bedale road for months.

I may have asked this before, but does Primrose Hill still exist ? It was a steep pathway from Broadfield Road up to Abbeydale Road. Also, vis-a vis the Express dairy, do you remember the milk bottles/crates going along some kind of '' Big Dipper '' type track ?

It used to blow my mind when I was about 8.

wellies you posh sod!!

We lived in Meersbrook where they were WELLOWS!

The photo I've recalled was from way back, the clothing people were wearing was more of the turn of the century so there must have been one earlier. Obviously, living near a river there are always going to be floods but, this looked like it had been reported as being something more major.

Archived