New Plans To Merge Sufc And Swfc?

surg

yup, I have heard this rumour.. frequently, along with the suggestion that we take the white stripe from the wednesday shirt, and the red stripe from united's...

the "sheffield" bit from the wednesday's name, and the "united" bit from sufc...

etc etc, lol...

The players, ground, money, board, coaching staff, training facilities, youth acadamy from United - and ............ erm........... erm......... the training footballs from Wednesday???

Hey, why not merge all the Yorkshire teams and build a 150 000 seater stadium because if you combine all the yorkshire teams it would add up to something like that. 70.000 thousand just from Sheffield and leeds.

Wednesday are coming up to their 140th year, United their 120th. Both clubs have got history's of great success and failure and to throw that away just so the marketing people can re-brand Sheffield as a franchise team is wrong. Our teams have got hearts and souls and the divide between the teams is one of the things that makes Sheffield great. You only have to look at the blades and owls chats threads on here to realise that.

On the subject of franchise teams, I think that within 5 years AFC Wimbledon are going to be above MK Dons and it will be a great day for football when it happens.

Merger!? Why is this rumour always started?

Wednesday are a gigantic, massive beast of a football club.

United...well they've got some fans too.

Maybe if both teams were arsing about in the conference but not how it is.

Why is it never suggested for Arsenal/ Spurs to merge or ManUre/Citeh, Liverpool/Everton even Stoke/Port Vale or the Brizzles.

The fans wouldn't accept it, I wouldn't support a merger team anyway.

Wednesday are a gigantic, massive beast of a football club.

QUOTE]

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

You forgot to add..Thats playing in the League Championship.

I cant believe you lot keep banging on about how massive a club you are.

You were a biggish club in the early 90's now you are just a middle of the table league championship side thats sitting a few places below the likes of Southampton, Colchester , Stoke, Cardiff and Wolves just to name a few.

This old Chestnut of a merger making the rounds again makes me wanna :gag:

Again please tell me what Sheff Weds could possibly offer the Blades in a merger, I already know the answer ...NOTHING

There is an understanding in football circles that a Roman Abramovich type figure is looking to buy into football in Sheffield in a big way but only if both clubs are prepared to merge. I assume this is so both grounds can be sold off to raise funds for a super stadium thereby enabling the new owner/owners to spend their vast wealth on top players. What do you think.

Shut up!:mad:

Should never happen - will never happen! end of rumour.

yup, I have heard this rumour.. frequently, along with the suggestion that we take the white stripe from the wednesday shirt, and the red stripe from united's...

the "sheffield" bit from the wednesday's name, and the "united" bit from sufc...

etc etc, lol...

You mean like this?

Every few months or so it comes around again ........ :hihi:

If we did merge, then in which league would we be in?

The Northern Counties East League, bottom division, or some such. If both clubs cease to exist and a new one is formed, that new club starts at the bottom.

That's why Maxwell's plans to merge two clubs into Thames Valley United collapsed. He didn't give a monkey's about the fans not wanting to do it, but the League and FA told him flat, a new club would not have a League place.

The Northern Counties East League, bottom division, or some such. If both clubs cease to exist and a new one is formed, that new club starts at the bottom.

That's why Maxwell's plans to merge two clubs into Thames Valley United collapsed. He didn't give a monkey's about the fans not wanting to do it, but the League and FA told him flat, a new club would not have a League place.

And that's why Southerners United didn't start in the first qualifying round of the FA Cup some years ago when they were in Brazil then?

As they never fulfilled their initial mandatory fixture, under the rules of the FA, they should have started in the first qualifying round the following year (think what a PR coup they could have had by putting a load of 16 year olds out and the odd reserve to get to the first round proper at least - shed load of revenue for struggling non-league clubs in the North West).

But no, 5th round, here we come .......

Not that the Government had anything to do with it ....... oh no ..........

We all know the merger is a non starter ...... again .......

so how come "franchise FC"( - the MK dons) didn't have to do this, when they went from Wimbledon to Milton Keynes?

they had a different name, a different ground, indeed a different city/ town, (they moved nearly 100 miles away!) so why was it that they were able to do this, and remain in the division they were in, and not have to start again from the bottom, as other teams allegedly would? (I'm just asking out of curiosity, not saying Sheffield should do this, BTW)

Archived