What Martial Art

hol123

I train in MMA (mixed martial arts). I like things to be useful practically, and MMA as a style is a composite of the techniques that work from each martial art. It's also a lot of fun and great for fitness.

I've trained in various less-mixed styles in the past, and my MMA game's best described as a mix of boxing-type punches, thai style knees and elbows, kicks from all over the shop, BJJ/submission wrestling takedowns and a ground game of BJJ plus MMA strikes.

Always had fun training martial arts though whatever style they were! Lot of different and exciting things out there..

I've tried my hand is a fair few martial arts. Karate, Taekwondo, ju-jitsu, kickboxing, grappling and Muay Thai (Thai boxing).

My preference by a long shot is Thai boxing - It's the only one that isn't classed as a run of the mill martial art. There's a video clip of me on the punchbag in Thailand on my MySpace page (in my sig) if anyone wants to look. It only lasts 13 seconds because the battery died on the camera :(

I really enjoyed grappling though (choked someone out twice on my first lesson that was far bigger and much more experienced), and think that if/when I finally get around to doing some BJJ - That will be a close 2nd favourite.

EDIT: I completely forgot to add boxing!! Which I've done on and off since school.

I've been learning hsing-yi which I'm really enjoying. It's totally unlike anything I've done before (I've mainly done kickboxing/boxing styles and a bit of judo) and manages to be both simple and direct and complex at the same time :o Oh I've also just started back doing some fencing which is more like physical chess than fighting if that makes any sense!!

I personally think that a BOXING based stand up martial art is the best for stand up fighting and that can be complemented by a ground based style.

Failing that if you want to stick to one style then I'd say get good at a stand up style that involves boxing based punching technique as most fights take place within talking range (punching/ "nutting" range) and then degenerate.

Stand up styles that are boxing based include Kickboxing and Muay Thai or even just normal boxing if you want to "keep it simple" and just rely on your fists.

The trouble with a lot of kickboxing is that it isnt all black and white. Some kickboxing clubs are "freestyle karate" some are "kick-boxercise" and some are just Boxing mixed with Taekwondo.

neil where do u do xingyi? is it the empty flower school-or something? i emailed the guy from there in shef but he aint takin students for a few more months. having read sun lu tangs book im proper intrigued altho its best that i wait a while n settle in kung fu more.

Archived