What Martial Art

hol123

• 2 weeks later...

i do laugar kung fu with graham abdulla for over 14 yrs on and off. But now started in the last 4 yrs after a 2 yrs off trainin seriously and takin my gradings again. I like the learning about the movements and the techeniques involved and know what its for and how to apply it. I listern to people say they can do this and that and when it comes to it they know nothin lol

to me in any martial art knowlage is most important its ok goin through a movement but if u cant apply it or dont know what its for whats the point. To many people think gettin a black belt means they can open a club and teach. Thats wrong it takes years of trainin dedication spirit and comitment

to me in any martial art knowlage is most important its ok goin through a movement but if u cant apply it or dont know what its for whats the point. To many people think gettin a black belt means they can open a club and teach. Thats wrong it takes years of trainin dedication spirit and comitment

What does getting a black belt need if it's not years of training and dedication?

What does getting a black belt need if it's not years of training and dedication?

that's what it should need, but some clubs/organisations do have reputations for handing out black belts more easily than others, and even then a blackbelt doesn't neccessarily mean you can apply what you've learned and make it work when you need to. also, some people do seem to open up clubs after very little training (robbybrown anyone?) :hihi:

There also the problem that being good at something doesn't always mean you are a good teacher, and conversley being a good teacher doesn't always mean that you have to be good at something.

Look at coaches for athletes, the coaches generally have a lot of knowledge and understanding, but they can't actually do what they are coaching (or not to that level) otherwise they'd be the ones doing it instead of teaching it.

There also the problem that being good at something doesn't always mean you are a good teacher, and conversley being a good teacher doesn't always mean that you have to be good at something.

Look at coaches for athletes, the coaches generally have a lot of knowledge and understanding, but they can't actually do what they are coaching (or not to that level) otherwise they'd be the ones doing it instead of teaching it.

I couldn't agree more - boxing coaches, golf coaches, athletics coaches, football coaches - most of the better ones never reached the same heights as competitors as they have as coaches/managers/trainers and i've had this argument before on here (as have other people). A blackbelt, PGA Open championship, world title, World Cup winners medal etc. are no guarantee that anyone will be a good teacher. One thing that most (all?) good coaches do have though is experience. i don't think experience makes one a good teacher, but it does provide one with something to teach.

Archived