The Highest Mileage cars -how many miles do cars do these days?

My last two cars did 135,000 and 170,000 miles respectively before I got rid. Well over half that was motorway mileage - I'd rather have a car with 100,000 miles on the clock when the engine has been burning hot than a car that has done 10,000 miles of stop / start in town.

I had a Volvo 740 turbodiesel which I bought with 172,900 on the clock. When I sold it 8 months later it had 205,600 on the clock and it still went fine.

Now got a 760 GLE turbodiesel with 165,000 miles and I'm confident it will last me a while :thumbsup:

My last SAAB had done 145,000 miles before I bought her- it's perfectly normal for a SAAB- they just don't seem to die.

If you want to see seriously high mileage, then you really have to look at trucks instead of cars. I knew of one truck that had spent 6 years doing a trip from Northern Scotland to Spain (double manned so that they could cover the distance in the shortest time with fresh fish on board) every week. The pedometer was in km rather than miles, but it had gone round the clock several times by the time it was offlined.

• 7 years later...

I have an 07 Toyota Avensis, petrol. This is used as a Private Hire car. It has done 210,000 miles. It has had two sets of brake pads on the front, one set on the rear and the front discs were replaced at 200,000 miles. A crack appeared behind the end box on the exhaust and was welded, no other problems since that happened. After bumping in and out of many potholes it is believed that this caused the near side drive shaft to snap, also the wheel bearing was replaced. Other than that all I have had done is a re-spray on the front and the rear bumpers. I can't fault this car! I'll keep you updated as the year goes on.

Phill.

I have an 07 Toyota Avensis, petrol. This is used as a Private Hire car. It has done 210,000 miles. It has had two sets of brake pads on the front, one set on the rear and the front discs were replaced at 200,000 miles. A crack appeared behind the end box on the exhaust and was welded, no other problems since that happened. After bumping in and out of many potholes it is believed that this caused the near side drive shaft to snap, also the wheel bearing was replaced. Other than that all I have had done is a re-spray on the front and the rear bumpers. I can't fault this car! I'll keep you updated as the year goes on.

Phill.

At last.Something to live for.

My current BMW has 160k on the clock, a mix of motorway and out of town A-roads mostly. My old Rover went to 400k before someone stole it, and I know of a Jaguar pushing 800k and still going strong on an LPG conversion.

The thing that kills most cars these days is bodywork, not engine issues it seems.

:hihi: Mine's done around 187,000

It came to me with around 132,000

It's had most things: near on full engine rebuild, suspension, most bushes, pumps (oil, water, PAS,), PAS rack, gear linkage, lamps, wings, lots of wiring, replacement hoses, brakes.... god I can't even think of it all really.

The gearbox is still original and untouched though!

Archived