Mountain Bike Routes In & Around Sheffield

An easy and accessible route is through Endcliffe Park, keep going through Bingham Park, past Forge Dam and head out into Peaks. Eventually you come to a road. If you turn right it takes you to the Norfolk Arms at Ringinglow. Go straight over the cross roads by the pub and about 100 yards further down you'll see a track that climbs on the right - called Roman Road. If you take this over the top it brings you out near Fox House on Ecclesall Road South. You can drop back into Sheffield and perhaps cut through Ecclesall Woods, which would bring you out on Abbeydale Road.

Originally posted by Hippy

I think it's called the old Houndkirk road that one. Fantastic up there. Stop and admire the view. It's breathtaking.

Yeah the view is cracking, you can see over to Meadowhell and beyond.

Originally posted by tinajones

BTW have any peasant-wagon riders braved the 'cycling to work option' since the bus strikes? I'm considering it....

Me - I am I am I am! My car decided to finally give up the very same day the buses go on strike. Great! Its taking me 10 minutes less per day on the bike than it does in the car though, so I'd recommend people do it more often.

By the way, Wharncliffe Woods is a great place to ride in Sheffield.

You'll meet loads of fellow riders out there that wont mind you joining them! Its got everything you could want - different terrain, good views, technical sections, difficult trails, easy gentle trails, steep hills, not-so-steep hills - everything.

Give it a try :thumbsup:

I'm planning a trip to Hope to do a 14 mile route from Mike Pearce's Mountain Bike Guide at the end of August. Will be taking it steady on this first trip out in a while. Guide says it's a 3 hour trip. Anyone fancy the ride?

I ride that trail across hallam moors too (the one between Ringinglow and the A625 - nice route.

Here's a route I like...

Head to Hunter's Bar and bear right past the roundabout to run parallel with the park, then turn left onto the cycle path that goes up to the watermill. Keep going till the cycle route turns into a bridle way (it might be a byway actually). This trail takes you up towards Ringinglow, but there's a hell of a climb at the end of it. Eventually you meet a small road, keep going straight on and at the t-junction turn left to get to Ringinglow.

From Ringinglow it's left then immediately right, and the trail up onto the moors is right ahead of you. Another climb takes you up onto the moor. At the end of that trail where it meets the A625, turn left then take the first right.

There's a good trail off to left a few hundred yards past the turning. Goes back to Sheffy via Totley Moor. Great views, and a hair-raisingly 'gnarly' descent. When you reach the bottom of the big straight(ish) descent, turn left and ride through the woods for a bit, up a nasty nasty little climb and turn right at the end, down back into the woods and back towards Door.

A top ride, but watch out for horses as you go through the woods.

When the trail ends, follow the road round to the left uphill to the t-junction and turn right to get back to Door.

After Door it's fun to cut through Ecclesall Woods on the little trails, but you can't give it too much welly cos of the walkers

Must have ridden that 50 times :). But I must confess to occasionally cutting out the off-road climbs cos I'm getting lazy in my old age :)

If you go through wharncliffe woods, you can ride off-road up to Penistone and then get on the cycle trail that will eventually go from liverpool to hull. A lot of the trail is on old unused railway track, but when I last rode on it towards the west it came to an end at the Woodhead Tunnel. They were going to run the cycle track through the Woodhead Tunnel at one time, but I think that idea has been abandoned now.

Another nice ride is on the Canal path from Sheffield to Meadowhall... but you have to be careful of the fishing rods littering the middle of the path!

Archived