New bar opened in Kelham Island - Fantastic!

You're right Jen, I should check my predjudice at the door and try it out. Modernity/stylisation and good cheer need not be mutually exclusive despite generally being so.

I'm not sure about the hard work bit though. A good atmosphere of a place either has to evolve through a multitude of intangible factors or simply be there through good will, it cannot be manufactured.

TVs were switched off tonight which was good, they had some music playing which was slightly too loud but didn't detract too much from conversation. Lots of candles and a pleasant welcome. Slightly more expensive than surrounding pubs, but I guess this is to be exepcted. Not a bad pint of ale either.

The dining area seemed to be in full swing and looked promising. :)

I had Sunday lunch there today, it tasted very good (with a lovely big yorkshire pud) and the service was excellent.

What I did find a bit odd was the location of the toilets, you get to the top of the stairs and then you feel like you have taken a wrong turn, as you are looking straight into the kitchen.

But I'll definitely be going back for more soon, it'll be interesting to see what the atmosphere is like in an evening.

:thumbsup:

pawa

We were there last night after reading the recommendations from this website. Although the place itself is nice the service was poor and the food was disappointing to say the least.

After waiting for an hour 3 of our meals came; after another 15 mins 3 more arrived and the final one cam another 10 minutes later. The waitress said when asked "This isn't a fast food restaurant... you can't expect for your food at the same time, its ready when it is."

Although the chef was a little more sympathetic, £15 for a steak that belonged in a Beefeater pub just seemed a bit expensive.

We were there last night after reading the recommendations from this website. Although the place itself is nice the service was poor and the food was disappointing to say the least.

After waiting for an hour 3 of our meals came; after another 15 mins 3 more arrived and the final one cam another 10 minutes later. The waitress said when asked "This isn't a fast food restaurant... you can't expect for your food at the same time, its ready when it is."

Although the chef was a little more sympathetic, £15 for a steak that belonged in a Beefeater pub just seemed a bit expensive.

I'm very surprised at this feedback, maybe you were just unlucky. I suppose not everywhere can be perfect all the time. I would certainly give it another try though

Everyone else who I know who has gone here has said nothing but positive things.

I know the owner has checked this thread before, so hopefully this will be fed back and shouldn't happen again.

Which night did you go? was it busy?

What I did find a bit odd was the location of the toilets, you get to the top of the stairs and then you feel like you have taken a wrong turn, as you are looking straight into the kitchen.

pawa

I know what you mean, but with the style of the building (and the fact that it's listed) I think the layout choices were quite limited.

I love the fact that the kitchen is open - very modern and 'gorden ramsey' style:hihi:

There is a disabled loo under the stairs I think so if you dont fancy going up the stairs you could use that I suppose.:thumbsup:

Jen - I've read this thread with interest and plan to check the place out, Shalesmoor is already a great place for a pub crawl.

The only thing which is bugging me is the extent of your praise of the place: you've gone to great effort to praise it repeatedly in the most incredibly glowing terms, are aware of planning limitations when it was being designed and even mention that you know the owner has checked out the thread you've started here. Have you got any particular interest in it?

Having said that, cheers for bringing my attention to it and a load of us are heading down there this week (still think you should really own up if you are linked to the place though!)

Archived