What Social Class do you think you belong to and why?

I have always found this a fascinating subject, largely because class mobility, and class boundary, has blurred and shifted over the last few decades. Also, class tends to be arbitrary, as people tend to define it in different ways.

Personally, I define it in terms of values and aspirations, rather than cruder measures such as wealth. I also think one's accent and dialect is a very good indicator.

That said, are there really only 3 set classes, or has the class scale become fractioned, or even bilinear ? (e.g. underclass, upper working class, new middle class and so on)

Is the notion of a class system an archaic one? Is it simply a tool to perpetuate regimented inequality? Or do people like to have a sense of belonging to, or identity with, a social group?

Over to the forum.

Toughie

Since I have to work for a living and have a job I'm working class.

However I only have one debt - the mortgage. And I have enough in savings to pay it off tbh....

Because I'm a qualified professional - does that make me upper working class?

I enjoy fine wines, classical music, opera and the like - would that put me into new middle class - or just mean that I 'have class'

After all some people will never achieve it whether they are born into money/ title or whatever ;)

Toughie

Since I have to work for a living and have a job I'm working class.

However I only have one debt - the mortgage. And I have enough in savings to pay it off tbh....

Because I'm a qualified professional - does that make me upper working class?

I enjoy fine wines, classical music, opera and the like - would that put me into new middle class - or just mean that I 'have class'

After all some people will never achieve it whether they are born into money/ title or whatever ;)

Indeed. Class is one of the (few) things you simply cannot buy.

You have it - or you don't.

StarSparkle

There are two classes

Ruling Class

Working Class

No one you know belongs to the former

We all belong to the latter

The so called 'middle class' which so many consider themselves part of does not exist.

It is a figment of working class peoples imagination, created by the bosses to make them work harder for less money.

We of the so called middle class, are workers who are not low lived scum. Neither are we landed gentry. We are the decent people of the land.

Isn't class now defined by socioeconomic groupings.

The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification Analytic Classes

1 Higher managerial and professional occupations

1.1 Large employers and higher managerial occupations

1.2 Higher professional occupations

2 Lower managerial and professional occupations

3 Intermediate occupations

4 Small employers and own account workers

5 Lower supervisory and technical occupations

6 Semi-routine occupations

7 Routine occupations

8 Never worked and long-term unemployed

Apparently engineering professionals (which is the closest I can find to software engineer) are group 2, sub group 2a.

Personally if I had to choose from the traditional groups then I suppose i'm middle class, my background would be from working class though.

Archived