What Social Class do you think you belong to and why?

No I'm saying its one of many factors however you can't be working class if you have that much money (to me)
Purely as a tool for discussion ... someone lives in a council flat on a poor estate. Their parents and their parents before them also lived in the same sort of place. S/he left school at 16 with 3 gcses at grade d and now works ont bins or at a sandwich shop, say. They've never been anywhere other than Benidorm or Florida, think that a good night is getting ratted at the local WMC, and then they win £40m on the lottery.

Are they still working class?

He is again now, he's a bin man.

Is it a requirement that you need to work to live in order to be working class? I'm not sure because most of the middle class need to work to live as well, I think it's more about what work you do.

I don't think becoming rich changed Carolls class though, he was still criminal underclass/working class, he just happened to be rich for a little while.

Equally I don't think that someone who gets a job in the city and makes a large amount of money stops being middle class, they might move to upper middle class I suppose.

There is no one requirement, thats what I said and thats why its so pointless trying to define it. I only read the first line of carolls wikipedia entry (that he won millions). I don't believe you can be working class with millions in the bank, if you had millions and lost it then thats different.

He won millions, he continued to be a social nuisance and self acknowledged chav. He spent it all (wasted it mostly) and is now a bin man who has tried to commit suicide twice in the last few years.

The combination of factors, behaviour, attitude, level of education, aspirations and so on outweighed (IMO) his wealth, he remained part of the criminal underclass if I'm being harsh or working class if I'm being generous.

Archived