Paper Lad on the Flower Estate

Timbuck

I was a Paper lad in the 1950's used to deliver to a lot of Shiregreen area

I had Paper rounds in Hartley brook and the Flower Estate ....And For some reason I always remember one house in The Flower estate "Number 4 Heather Road" a girl called Celia Swan used to live there (anyone remember Her) Tuesday Morning was the best day of the week , That was the day the "Eagle Comics" were delivered I always got to School late on Tuesday co's I was reading the Eagle when I should have been delivering it...Any more ex Paper Lads out there???.

me and my friend used to do paper rounds on the flower estate, in the late 70's/turn of 80's - we used to lug 2 bags each sometimes. my nephew now does a paper round where he lives (off jenkin) and he has 24 papers!!

I used to collect the paper money on a sunday morning ... blimey, they wouldnt let a skinny wee 13-14yr old collect about £50 worth of paper money now, would they!!? Lots of people would pretend to not hear you knock ...

lol ... good thread - brought back memories!

I also delivered papers in the upper Shiregreen area.I worked for Bentons on Hatfield House Lane from about '63 to '65 and got 14 bob a week which financed my visits to the Mojo club and Violet May's record store,Also,all that walking helped me lose weight,Happy days!

Archived