Bus Strike

Love them or loathe them, South Yorkshire bus drivers are amongst the worst paid in the country. Now, I don't think First Mainline will upset their shareholders by providing a generous pay increase out of their profits so I'd prepare myself for yet another round of fare increases...

Where has all the traffic gone? 8:30 on Ecclesall Rd S/Haugh Lane junction there's always a tail-back (and worst on Mondays). Not today. If this is what happens to traffic congestion when there are no busses, let's have more strikes!

OK... I expect a few people took the day off, shared cars, went in early, walked, cycled, working from home.

Originally posted by "Abby"

South Yorkshire bus drivers are amongst the worst paid in the country.

Is this hearsay or fact? I bet they earn a lot more in London but I'd not move to London for twice the pay, it wouldn't make up for the higher cost of living and lower quality of life.

What does a bus-driver earn here compared with, say Leeds?

What does a bus-driver earn here compared with, say Leeds

Between £5 to £6 a hour in Sheffield. It's been all local radio all last week. First are offering a rise somewhere 'tween 6 to 9%. Mmm nice! All this for 4am starts and 40+ hour weeks. One driver said that some drivers were taking home less than £150 a week after tax.

But surely the issue here is who's going to pay for any rise? First shareholders or passengers?

Archived