HMS Ganges - RN Boys training establishment.

Jossman

Were any of our forum members drafted to HMS Ganges the boys training establishment for the Royal Navy. I joined on the 2nd May 1960 as a 15 year old boy signalman and was in Keppel division, 3 mess, at the top of the long covered way. I think borstal boys were treated better than us but it was a steep learning curve being trained to join the fleet. I returned 13 years later as a Regulating Petty Officer and hope that I was a more understanding instructor than my bully boy predecessors. Anybody else out there??

Oh I wonder yes I wonder did the Jossman make a blunder. I never went to Ganges. I joined in 1949 at 17, and went to Corsham , Wilts. I joined as a radio mechanic, Fleet air arm, retired 18 years later as a Chief Air Radio Mechanician. I never regretted serving with the RN. I even got to like a few RPOs and Masters! Good luck Shipmate.

Buck I joined at Royal Arthur in 1949 ,it was october, I think we were the last to join there. Do you remember Phoebe , the camp lady barber. I joined as a Jnr. stoker, finished up an Engineer Lieutenent. I had to go to Manchester first, we were given a medical and 4/-, told to pass away some time before the night train, I went to see " The Bride Of Frankenstein". It turned out 4/- represented a day's pay,I was overpaid my daily rate was 1/6.

Archived