Smugglers' tunnels under Dove and Rainbow

I have located the original entrance to the network of old 18th century smugglers tunnelswhich were always known to exist under Sheffield. According to research done the tunnel starts from an entrance in ladysbridge on the banks of the River , now probably under water, and runs to the original 18th century Dove and Rainbow cellars, which still exist and are accessible from the modern Dove and Rainbow cellars which were built in 1955. Access is by steps leading underground from the current cellars and disused boiler room. From here a tunnel runs to the Tap and Spile original cellars, and then onto the Old Queens Head, whcih some off shoots running off to other storage caves for contraband items.

I located the entrance down a dead end passage in the lower (original) beer cellar below the present Dove and Rainbow operational cellars. It is partially flooded and is known to flood completely at various times associated with the water levels in the River at ladysbridge.

Anyone who has any more info on these old smugglers tunnels, please let me know as I find it all totally fascinating........

There's a huge great long thread for Sheffield's tunnels somewhere. Have you read it?

Wasn't the original castle where the castle market is? The Tap & Spile is probably built on it too

I wonder where the city walls would have been? It wouldn't be a surprise to find that the tunnels were part of the defences if they let out into the river

How deep is the flooding and how far does the tunnel run? I'm sure there are or were tunnels further up High Street near Boots.

The tunnel is yet to be explored.......I believe it must connect right down to the river as the water comes up the tunnel to the cellars and floods our lowest level....its river water for sure and not just leaking pipes or something....

floods up to about 6 ft high in the disused cellars.......

Can we have a forum tour when the levels drop?

Please? Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please :D

er...probably......no idea if these tunnels are safe though......if all the ends have been bricked up, it implies they are rather dangerous.......

The tunnel is yet to be explored.......I believe it must connect right down to the river as the water comes up the tunnel to the cellars and floods our lowest level....its river water for sure and not just leaking pipes or something....

floods up to about 6 ft high in the disused cellars.......

Doubt that it's river water. The difference in the OS spot heights between Hartshead and Lady's Bridge is about 80 feet - a lot of Sheffield would have to be underwater for the river Don to be in your cellars !! :D

The flooding is more likely from an old well that is tapped into the water table. The really old pubs brewed their own beer in the past and each would have a well in the cellar in the hope of a clean water supply.

It would be very interesting to discover where the tunnel leads, but it may be just for drainage if the cellars periodically flood.

Archived