Smugglers' tunnels under Dove and Rainbow

Are you sure that they are very old tunnels and not just from the second world war?

The ARP wardens used to connect cellars together with little tunnels so that people could escape into adjacent property if they were stuck in a cellar after bomb damage, and some of these tunnels went as far as the neighbourhood air raid shelters.

Most of the terraced houses I have been in have bricked up holes which are from this era.

I hate to sound like a killjoy as this sounds like a great adventure, but please consider the presence of gasses in the tunnels.

I doubt even the fire brigade would venture in there without breathing apperatus or at least a gas monitor.

Ideally you should have someone with confined spaces training, gas detector and escape kit.

I'd hate to be reading 'unofficial SF tunnel meet disaster' in the papers

I hate to sound like a killjoy as this sounds like a great adventure, but please consider the presence of gasses in the tunnels.

I doubt even the fire brigade would venture in there without breathing apperatus or at least a gas monitor.

Ideally you should have someone with confined spaces training, gas detector and escape kit.

I think we have the topic for our Star hoax thread :hihi::banana:

Looking at an old Photo of The Dove & Rainbow I would guess around 1900.

The pub is given as being in Hartshead but High Ct is not on the photo.

The photo is from a publication by 'The Star' 'More images of Sheffield'

My computer savvy does not enable me to post a link to the photo, but I am working on it. Should it improve I will post the photo.

My post being that I cannot see the connection with the old and the new D & R

Hello,

I agree 100%. If there is only one way into the tunnel(s) - even a tunnel that is just a few meters long - then only people with confined space training, equipment and experience would be allowed to participate in a search of that nature. You may even need permits before you can go.

In fact if Health and Safety get wind of what you are planning to do and they are not satisfied with your preparations, skill levels, training, etc.,they may stop the whole thing before it even starts.

Regards

Archived