Smugglers' tunnels under Dove and Rainbow

Try this link for a photo of the previouse D & www.http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s119/kenhunt/DoveRainbow.jpg"

even better press this link : -

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s119/kenhunt/DoveRainbow.jpg

I really hope you have got the permission of the copyright holder of the pictures from that book..

I remember some years ago reading an article about some builders uncovering the foundations for the medieval houses in the cellars of shops on present day High Street.

I just wondered if the ground levels were much lower in those days, maybe the tunnels below the Dove and Rainbow could be very old.

Maybe someone knows more?

Happy Days!

• 2 weeks later...

i remember my dad talking about the tunnels. when i walked past i would get a chill .thay said there was no such tunnels till thay stated to do repair work years ago. this was in the 70s inever rearly belevid it glad u have found them .has for has i can remember dad did think thay come from the ladybridge

It looks like this is not the only forum interested in exploring the tunnels

28dayslater.co.uk

Quoting from the other forum "I'm going to try and find another entrance to these tunnels since we can't get in through the pub." The tunnels at the Old Queens Head are flooded as well!!:hihi:

Not sure what you find so funny. You'd be amazed what's been uncovered on there.

About 15 years ago I was involved with an (official) exploration of a couple of tunnels in that area to see about running computer network cables through them.

We didn't progress the idea. I think we decided that we didn't want to add Weil's disease immunity to the list of requireents for network engineers. :)

Some of the tunnels in the area were also blocked off because of methane problems, I think. Certainly some gas - I'd have thought methane.

Not sure what you find so funny. You'd be amazed what's been uncovered on there.

A fascinating site (amongst many other urban exploration sites) which catalogues our countries heritage. Wish I was 20 years younger 'cos I'd love to get out there and join in. :thumbsup:

How about these. I found the following in a scrapbook in the Local Studies Library by a man called Henry Tatton. Henry was born in 1861 and for 50 years kept an ironmongers stall in the Market Hall. He died in 1946, but at the age of 59, in 1920, he decided to learn to draw, and kept these scrapbooks of his drawings of Sheffield. He also scattered them with things he came across he thought were interesting. The following he got from the Sheffield Daily Telegraph, but didn't note the date. If you want to look it up it's in volume 3 of his notes, page 229.

"Underground passages in Sheffield.

There are old coal mine workings in the vicinity of Rockingham Street. The Manor passage may have been used to bring drinking water to the Park from the Manor well or spring. Then there was the wooden pipes made from hollowed tree trunks used to convey water from Brookhill to the Hartshead. These carrier passages are being put forward as subterranean passages. Fragments of tunnels found under the Castle Hill, same size as the Manor Passage. There is another passage at the Manor, going West. A passage was found underneath the road, from the Cross Keys Handsworth, running in the direction of Handsworth Church. Also another passage from Handsworth Church to the Manor, by Handsworth Hall Farm. Then a passage was found in the City Road brickfield. It ran in the direction of the Manor. Lined with dressed stones and high enough to walk in. The passage under the tramway Club in High Court, High Street leads into another passing under Cockayne's Arcade. Another passage found under Rodgers Pond Hill Works. Also one running towards the New Post Office from River Lane. Under the Hall in the Ponds, the built up end of another passage which ran towards the Midland Station.

When Priory Road Sharrow was made, a tunnel was found leading from the Old Priory towards the city. In it was found a built up Chamber. It contained a table and 2 oak chairs, some tumblers and a bottle. In one corner remnants of clothing, a rusty armour and a sword 3 feet long. A passage ran from near the present Heeley Station to Newfield Hall and then towards Sheffield castle. In 1925 a Mrs. Jenkinson said an old man told her he had traversed it all the way and said it was about 6 ft. high. One end of it is near Meersbrook Park Rd in the old farmstead buildings. A passage near Glossop Rd led into old coal workings and to a shaft at the corner of Convent Walk."

Archived