Mojo club in the 60s

bali

Do you remember a lass sending a painting of Tony Hicks down to the stage? It was passed over everyone's' heads like they used to send little kids down to the front on the terraces.

No, must have been at the other side near the mural wall, but I do remember a girl fainting at the front of the stage and Allan Clarke- in mid number- jumping down and helping her up! They weren't too big not to do that (They were Manchester lads anyway). And as you said in another reply, the Mojo stage wasn't 6ft high, maybe 2?

No, must have been at the other side near the mural wall, but I do remember a girl fainting at the front of the stage and Allan Clarke- in mid number- jumping down and helping her up! They weren't too big not to do that (They were Manchester lads anyway). And as you said in another reply, the Mojo stage wasn't 6ft high, maybe 2?

Eighteen inches I'd say.

That was me. Me and my friends had queued for hours to get a front viewing. I was quite overcome and couldn't cope with the surge of people trying to get to the front during the Hollies' performance. Magical days.

That was me. Me and my friends had queued for hours to get a front viewing. I was quite overcome and couldn't cope with the surge of people trying to get to the front during the Hollies' performance. Magical days.

Hope you didn't mind me bringing that up. That was a great Sunday night, fifty years ago this summer, Wow!

---------- Post added 17-01-2015 at 02:50 ----------

I was to young to have ever gone in but have a vivid memory of sitting on the little stone wall outside there must have been a well known group playing because of the size of the crowd.

If you had sat on that wall every week then, they're would have been a well known band playing with a big crowd. The wall you refer to is still there, (as of 2014) and it divides Pitsmoor Road-Mojo side- and Barnsley Road-Abbeyfield Park side.

• 1 year later...
Aaah!! The Mojo days!!!

I used to go there, mainly to see the american blues singers & harmonica players, I managed to get backstage & actually sat & talked with Sonny Boy Williamson, he was so friendly & we chatted for about an hour, he gave me many tips on playing the blues harmonica, & even gave me one of his harmonicas & we played together, I couldn't believe my luck, he was a really nice guy.

I also met & chatted backstage with Jimmy Reed, another harmonica player & was given a blues harp by him too.

No i'm not a 'groupie' I just had to meet these legends & I will never forget their presence.

It was bands like the Rolling Stones who 'discovered' the blues in America, which helped put the black american blues singers on the world stage & soul music evolved from then on, so a big thanks to them.

Can you remember the month, day or any other details about seeing Sonny Boy Williamson please?