Sheffield Repertory-Geoffrey Ost & Patrick McGoohan

Not exactly on topic but my second cousin was in the company at the Playhouse during the 50's - he sadly passed away a few years ago.

I think he was there for the last few months of Patrick McGoohans time as it was his first job after leaving RADA

His name was Peter Dixon and if anyone knew of him it would be great - I was just a small kid at the time

I've posted a picture of a production of 'The Winters Tale' produced on 28th January 1957, which includes Mr. Dixon.

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dixonbc0.jpg

From left, Henry Livings, Neville McGrah, Peter Dixon, Judith Chappell and John Carson.

Mr. Dixon is noted as having joined the Sheffield Rep. in 1955, so he would have missed Patrick McGoohan's time there, as he left in 1952, but since another Poster has suggested McGoohan returned to Sheffield to visit (as might be expected) they may well have known one another by virtue of a successful 'old boy' visiting the Theatre.

Thank you so much for that photo - Peter died a few years ago, but always had very fond memories of his time at the Playhouse before he left for London.

Obviously Mr McGoohan had left before Peter's time so you are probably right about him visiting.

I remember back in the late 60' s or 70's Peter coming for a visit to Sheffield and found out that another person named on that photo, Neville McGrah had just died, he took his own life if memory serves me correctly.

• 1 month later...

With full credit to extaxman and his most excellent mother-in-law, I have pasted what is probably the first step ever made by Mr. McGoohan in the world of acting.... onto my website........ and naturally, it was in the city of Sheffield...... :banana:

theatrical-mcgoohan Facsimile:1-1

I can't remember exactly were the playhouse was, but Mr McGoohan had a reputation for being difficult.

I think the location of the Playhouse was Townhead Street, could be wrong because it's a long time ago. It was just around the corner from a bookshop called Hartley Seeds?

I think the location of the Playhouse was Townhead Street, could be wrong because it's a long time ago. It was just around the corner from a bookshop called Hartley Seeds?

You are perfectly right. It was Townhead Street. I went many times. I believe it started life as a Temperance Hall.

• 4 months later...

Someone called Roger Langley contacted me just over a year ago to ask if I knew whether Patrick McGoohan attended De La Salle College in Sheffield (I used to run the DLSC ex pupils website and no, he didn't attend as far as we could ascertain).

He needed the information for a book/biography he was writing about Patrick.

I don't know if he's completed the book yet but he did manage to talk to quite a few people who knew Patrick as a young boy and when he began his acting career in Sheffield.

Someone called Roger Langley contacted me just over a year ago
He runs the "Prisoner" fan club I think. The web-site says the book will be out soon (October). I read an interview where Patrick McGoohan recalls paying a nostalgic visit to Sheffield with his wife, I think it was in the 1980's. Like most of us who leave our 'home-towns' he commented how 'everything had changed' and he could hardly recognise where he was. He says he did manage to find the exact spot where he made his marraige proposal though.... :love:

Mind you, the way he told the tale, he had to explain to his wife the significance of the spot........:roll:

:hihi:

• 1 year later...

Archived