Sheffield Repertory-Geoffrey Ost & Patrick McGoohan

As a postscript to my last message:

a) anyone got any info on Ella Atkinson's career? She was a long-time favourite at the Playhouse.

b) Anyone know what has happened to John Pickles, who was at the Playhouse at the same time as the young Keith Barron, Philip Stone, etc?

c) sometime in the late 1950s I saw a production of Twelfth Night at thePlayhouse, and an actress called, I think, Jeanne Crain was in it. What became of her?

• 2 months later...

And so I read today that Patrick McGoohan has passed away in Los Angeles. An interesting fact arose in the article, that being he once worked in a rope factory for awhile. The guy that brought him into the Stone House that night also worked in a rope factory/warehouse.

'Barney' Cummings was his name.

I think the rope factory might have been wire rope, for he worked at Tinsley Wire --although he was, in fact, a management trainee and was only on the shop floor as part of his training. Then he went and asked Geoffrey Ost to give him a chance at the Playhouse --he offered to work for nothing just to have the opportunity to prove himself. He did work for nowt for a time, but his talents were soon recognised.

He was a great guy, and very proud of his Sheffield links. It is worth looking up what Pater Sallis said about his old Playhouse pal in his autobiography.

• 3 weeks later...
As a postscript to my last message:

a) anyone got any info on Ella Atkinson's career? She was a long-time favourite at the Playhouse.

I've spotted Ella in a book written about the Sheffield Playhouse in the 1960's. She was still performing as part of the company, prior to the big change, when the new civic theatre was openedin about 1970. In one picture of her in one performance, she looks to be in her fifties or older (although stage make-up can deceive!). Her appearances were only about six or so per year, so she was evidently acting on stage less and less. I would presume she never left Sheffield and it's environs.

I did read of her in this memoir:

http://www.bl.uk/projects/theatrearchive/orme.html

And another actress, Ella Atkinson, whom you will see if you go into the Lyceum foyer, have you been into the Lyceum foyer? Have you seen that painting?

I don't suppose the Lyceum still has her in the foyer?

:)

I did read that memoir re Ella Atkinson, but I have never found a full biog or sketch of her career. She was a very popular member of the Rep, and I thought there might be something reasonably substantial about her somewhere. Of course, I have a few notes, but that's all. I do believe that she gave up the chance of developing her career by going to the West End because she chose to remain in Sheffield and care for her elderly mother. It would be interesting to many local theatregoers, I am sure, if something could be placed on record about Ella.

Archived