Wincobank historians help!

A quote from Bryan Woodriff's 'Shire Green, Wincobank and Ecclesfield Memories' states,

"At the next corner of the Avenue and Shiregreen Lane, there was what we called the 'Beer-Off' shop. This was a quite high class grocery and provision shop run by Arthur Bond and his family. I remember the bacon machine, the ham and bacon hung from the ceiling and the home cooked ham and tongue, and the cheese on the slab with the wire to cut through. They sold beer in bottles and in draught from Mappins Brewery. I used to fetch the yeast from there if my mother had to bake before we went to the Co-op on Bellhouse Road for the order."

Hope this is of some help.

yes i remember that chip shop..just below the brickworks where those bungalows now stand...it was always crowded because it was full of kids from hinde house...but.. to keep everybody entertained the old girl who owned the place took all the photos out of photoplay magazine and stuck them on the walls round the shop...you could look at rock hudson sandra dee natalie wood and a host of others while you were waiting for your chips.....opposite where threshers is now stood a fruit shop owned by a ..g.e.byegrave...it was run by an old fellow and his son..both dead now but lovely people..the old fellow was always sat outside looking for somebody to talk to....back i 1960 on my way home from school the he often gave me an apple...on the other side of the road heading towards monckton road was mrs fox's sweet shop

A quote from Bryan Woodriff's 'Shire Green, Wincobank and Ecclesfield Memories' states,

"At the next corner of the Avenue and Shiregreen Lane, there was what we called the 'Beer-Off' shop. This was a quite high class grocery and provision shop run by Arthur Bond and his family. I remember the bacon machine, the ham and bacon hung from the ceiling and the home cooked ham and tongue, and the cheese on the slab with the wire to cut through. They sold beer in bottles and in draught from Mappins Brewery. I used to fetch the yeast from there if my mother had to bake before we went to the Co-op on Bellhouse Road for the order."

thank you for your comments, after doing a bit of research myself in the library i came across an "arthur bond" grocers in the 1920's but have never heard of a "beer-off" before and would never have put two an two together!...

the reason i am so interested is that me and my partner have recently bought the property including the basement and i really like knowing at least a little of the history of the houses i live in but also, more interestingly, in the basement, there is a barrel drop and a built in raised platform all around the room for storing cask ales, which seemed a little odd to me as the original property seemed far too small to have been a pub, and as most people would, i got curious!

anyway a "beer-off" would make sense and answers my questions so thank you again for your help guys!

x

I'd be interested to know what you intend for the future of the shop.

Is it to stay an "off-licence" or is there plans for a much needed "General Grocers" in the area.

To be honest we have stopped using the shop in recent months. On numerous occasions we have been asked "Can I owe you? We are short of change."

We don't mind paying the going price for stuff...but to be "owed" 3p/5p, or whatever every visit was getting a bit much.

I lved just around the corner from it and this is how I remember it too. It's never been a pub to my knowledge. Other comments by anlabystreet and uk dobby made me smile. Mrs Fox's shop sold a cig and a match to the school kids ( I didn't smoke then ) and old man Bygraves, I remember his mucky fruit, veg and fish shop well:) That chip shop was a good un I can taste them now. There was Earps shop at the Newman/Winco' Ave junction too :)

Archived