Wicker in the late middle ages.

BILDEBORG

Some time ago I was either told or I read something about the Wicker, and I'm not totally convinced it is/was true. The reason why the Wicker is so wide is that in the late middle ages it was used for archery practice, and as time moved on, and buildings appeared it kept it's width. Is there any truth in this story?

The wicker is built on an ancient trackway dating back to anglian times.

It used to be called Assembly Green it was an open meadowland the freemen of Hallamshire would muster there annually with horses and arms and they did indeed do archery there.

The last time this happened was 1715, so maybe there is some truth in it.

It was also the first site of a peoples court.

The wicker is built on an ancient trackway dating back to anglian times.

It used to be called Assembly Green it was an open meadowland the freemen of Hallamshire would muster there annually with horses and arms and they did indeed do archery there.

The last time this happened was 1715, so maybe there is some truth in it.

It was also the first site of a peoples court.

Hang on, its still used for target practice but these days they use guns.

• 3 years later...
Some time ago I was either told or I read something about the Wicker, and I'm not totally convinced it is/was true. The reason why the Wicker is so wide is that in the late middle ages it was used for archery practice, and as time moved on, and buildings appeared it kept it's width. Is there any truth in this story?

The 'town butts' in the Wicker were used as late as ~1600, archery practice was compulsory until around that time.

The width was probably down to the need to maintain a large enough space for the 'Assembly', which was essentially the muster of the Lord of the Manor's private army. For every mounted man there would probably be a couple of others to carry his gear.

I've seen it suggested that the name derives from the cottage industry of wickerwork that arose on the bank of the river where there would be a plentiful supply of reeds and willow for the job.

I've seen it suggested that the name derives from the cottage industry of wickerwork that arose on the bank of the river where there would be a plentiful supply of reeds and willow for the job.
I thought that as well, that it was named for the abundance of willows that grew along the river banks.

This whole area of Sheffield must have been really beautiful before the Industrial Revolution.

Yes, nice to look at.

Except that there was no proper sewage, drinking water had to be drawn from a well that might or might not be contaminated with stuff I'd rather not think about and lots of people kept a pig in their back yard that was allowed to roam the town feeding off all the crap that people threw out into the street.

And the respectable types probably had a bath and changed their kecks every Whitsuntide....but a lot didn't bother :D

Yes, nice to look at.

Except that there was no proper sewage, drinking water had to be drawn from a well that might or might not be contaminated with stuff I'd rather not think about and lots of people kept a pig in their back yard that was allowed to roam the town feeding off all the crap that people threw out into the street.

And the respectable types probably had a bath and changed their kecks every Whitsuntide....but a lot didn't bother :D

Oh well, if you're going to bring the perils of dirty humans despoiling the landscape into it ... :D

Archived