Plug / Rutland Arms Announcement

green

The Rutland Arms, 86 Brown Street, Sheffield

Plug is very proud to announce that it has taken up the vacant lease on the Rutland Arms, on Brown Street in Sheffield City Centre.

The Rutland Arms is a Sheffield institution, long loved and cherished by a cosmopolitan mix of devotees ranging from real ale aficionados and academics to members of the creative and music industries from the gay community to Saturday afternoon football fans, all drawn in by the pub’s individuality, value, and unpretentiousness. With its quality no nonsense food, real ales, award winning beer garden and famously chintzy interior, the Rutland was a fiercely independent, yet honest and welcoming pub for all comers.

When the incumbent landlord finally gave notice of his intention to quit the business the Rutland’s regulars began a vociferous campaign to save the pub from potential demolition, or worse, conversion into yet another identikit late bar. Over a thousand signatures we gathered through an online petition and various websites and awareness campaigns were launched to attempt to save the pub.

For some time, Scott & Adele, the owners of Plug, had been looking for a pub in Sheffield with a similar independent ethos and atmosphere to Plug. When it became clear that the Rutland’s future was in jeopardy, they saw a chance both to rescue an important part of Sheffield life and to ensure that Plug’s customers would finally be assured of a quality pre-club destination in the city centre.

Scott and Adele intend to work hard to maintain the Rutland’s unique charm and character. With this in mind, a comprehensive yet sensitive and sympathetic refurbishment will be undertaken to return the pub to its former glory, retaining as many original features as possible. The seven existing bed and breakfast rooms will be respectfully updated to provide four en-suite boutique guest bedrooms.

Restoring The Rutland’s long established reputation for providing quality, reasonably priced food and real ales will be a key priority, along with restoration of the beer garden and the building’s exterior features.

Though the task ahead may appear somewhat daunting, Scott and the rest of the team from Plug feel proud that they are able to take on the responsibility for ensuring that this priceless slice of Sheffield heritage will live on, to be enjoyed again by regulars and new customers alike.

As an add-on --- When the Rutland closed last week, a lot of the chintz was taken by the regulars, which we would now like to replace.

If anyone has any Sheffield Pictures (old or new) that they may wish to donate or sell please pm me.

cheers

HI Joe,

We open doors once again on Friday evening (tomoz)....over the coming weeks there will be various changes ie new carpets, furniture, fires (whoot!) and then the beer garden gets a overhaul! We are really looking forward to it....

HI Joe,

We open doors once again on Friday evening (tomoz)....over the coming weeks there will be various changes ie new carpets, furniture, fires (whoot!) and then the beer garden gets a overhaul! We are really looking forward to it....

I'll see what I'm doing! :)

Green! This news will make many of my friends very happy, especially as it sounds as if you're keeping the integrity and character of the place instead of stripping everything out. I'll definitely be there very soon - we might even have a walking group meet there! :thumbsup:

Archived